Starting Flight School Need a Headset

Look on eBay for used headsets.

DC 13.4's are really good passive noise reduction headsets. I've worn them for 8 hours, they do get a little heavy.

Bose and Lightspeed sell snake oil. No way a headset should cost $1000! That being said I have nothing but Bose in my plane, even the back seat. It's like Starbucks, overpriced but you know what you're getting.

I've said this before, look at Pilot USA based in Irvine CA. Less expensive. They stand behind their product and are the only headset manufacture who upgrade your headsets. Example: Passive to active noise reduction for a very reasonable fee. Just 30 employees they have been in the business longer than most.

I've said this before, look at Pilot USA based in Irvine CA. Less expensive. They stand behind their product and are the only headset manufacture who upgrade your headsets. Example: Passive to active noise reduction for a very reasonable fee. Just 30 employees they have been in the business longer than most.
When I got my CFI my grandma bought me the PA-1779T headset. It is a pretty good headset for ANR and it was even good at PNR when the battery pack ran out. Now after moving across oceans and states I can't seem to find them :(

If you're really strapped for cash, buy a used broken pair off eBay and send them in to get refurbished. You can usually get a good pair for under 200. With that being said, there are not many broken David Clark headsets for sale.....

When I got my CFI my grandma bought me the PA-1779T headset. It is a pretty good headset for ANR and it was even good at PNR when the battery pack ran out. Now after moving across oceans and states I can't seem to find them :(

They sell direct. Pilot-USA.com

I have a 1779T. Good headset. It's my backup to my QT.

@Miguel Villazon

File Feb 05, 3 06 46 PM.jpeg
File Feb 05, 3 06 46 PM.jpegFile Feb 05, 3 06 46 PM.jpeg

Attachments

• File Feb 05, 3 09 33 PM.jpeg
    File Feb 05, 3 09 33 PM.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
Look on eBay for used headsets.

DC 13.4's are really good passive noise reduction headsets. I've worn them for 8 hours, they do get a little heavy.

Bose and Lightspeed sell snake oil. No way a headset should cost $1000! That being said I have nothing but Bose in my plane, even the back seat. It's like Starbucks, overpriced but you know what you're getting.

This was great! Thanks for the great info

I had really good luck and enjoyed Lightspeed's non-ANR headsets. They were called the QFR Solo, but I see from the website they don't sell them anymore, so Ebay if you're considering it. I have had multiple Lightspeed headsets now, now using Zulu 2 and they've been good. And great customer service.

Definitely check out Banyan Pilot Shop, its like a minute drive from where ATP is at FXE. Nicest pilot shop I've ever been in.

I went with the DC 13.4X. Has decent ENC and work well when the battery fails. In the jet no need for ENC.

2000+ hours later pistons, turboprops, jets, they are faded and beat but still work great, every flight.

My biggest complaint is they use 9V batteries so finding a rechargeable solution is tough.

Clarity Aloft. I hate bulky headsets, my school allowed "rental" headsets which were DC's but I hated those. I then my dad gave me Nis old Plantronics headset from when he was ATC, and I used that old school headset during flight school, and about a year ago I got my CA. Headsets and shades are both lomg term investments, so don't worry if thigs are pricy. They're worth it

Back