Standard Rate turn

rausda27

Does anyone remember the formula to determine the bank angle required for a standard rate turn?

Man, those fighter pilots goin 1000 knots have it rough. Whats that work out to? 105 degrees of bank? Just kidding. But i wonder at what point that formula no longer is accurate.

You're welcome. But actually, I'm not Rainman. I had no idea what it was (other than TAS was in it someplace). I looked it up...slow day.
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Man, those fighter pilots goin 1000 knots have it rough. Whats that work out to? 105 degrees of bank? Just kidding. But i wonder at what point that formula no longer is accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

That formula is for light, low-speed training aircraft (according to Jeppesen). High speed aircraft have their turn and bank indicators calibrated for half-standard rate turns (1.5 degrees per second) to keep bank angles from getting absurd.

I use 15% of TAS, but at 100 kts., that comes out to being the same as TAS/10 +5....

Potato potatoe, it's just a rule of thumb...

Dave

Weenie time...

An equation for determining the appropriate bank angle in a turn involves TAS and rate of turn. For a standard rate:

bank angle = acos( 1/ sqrt( TAS^2/132637 + 1 ) ) * 57.3

The rule of thumb, TAS/10 + 6 (not 5), is a linear approximation that offers a surprisingly good fit out through about 560 knots.

Up next, "Why plan a 3° descent?"
shocked.gif

Hmm, all these years I've been using KIAS/10+7... by that formula, anything over 230KIAS, you just hold 30 degrees of bank.

Our old Lears don't have a rate of turn indicator.

Back