Stammer/Stutter

Triple777ER

Hi, this is my first post on jetcareers.
This is a really big issue for me, i finished high school and am seriously considering a career in aviation.
I have been having a slight stutter since the past 6 years. This being said, i tend to talk slowly as it is the only way i can speak without any interruptions. I have been speaking english all my life and am a fluent english speaker.

Would this be a major concern during flight?

Cheers

This is a really big issue for me, i finished high school and am seriously considering a career in aviation.
I have been having a slight stutter since the past 6 years. This being said, i tend to talk slowly as it is the only way i can speak without any interruptions. I have been speaking english all my life and am a fluent english speaker.

Cheers
§ 67.105 Ear, nose, throat, and equilibrium.

nose, oral cavity, pharynx, or larynx that--

(2) Interferes with, or may reasonably be expected to
interfere with, clear and effective speech communication.

The flight surgeon will help you out with this more as I am sure if you can prove what you say above you can get a special issue of a medical.

The FAA guidance for this states "Any malformation or condition, including stuttering, that would impair voice communication...Submit all pertinent medical information and current status report...Requires FAA Decision". This would be a one-time submission and the FAA would decide about the medical. You could still be allowed to fly where no radio communications are required though. They may make you see a FAA Safety Inspector at the FSDO for his/her evaluation before the final decision is rendered.

Cheers

You have come to the right place - The good Dr. here is a fine man.

Also, there have been many prominent people that have stuttered and overcome it that lead very high profile lives - John Stossel, the reporter is a person that has overcome it and you would never know when he is on TV. Winston Churchill, one of the great orators of our time also overcame this. Good luck to you and continue to pursue your dreams!

Thanks everyone, during the medical check-up, do i mention to the doctor that i got a minor stammer/stutter or not?

Thanks everyone, during the medical check-up, do i mention to the doctor that i got a minor stammer/stutter or not?

That is actually a pretty good question...

I am in favor of being completely honest to everyone...but, if the stammer/stutter is not readily apparent to the guy examing you, do you really have one?

yeah, that's the difficult part. I can completely avoid the stutter at times, eventhough if the examiner doesn't find out, do you think its better to mention that i stutter/stammer for the past 6 or so years? Because i think he really is the only person you can ask that question.

FWIW, I had an IP in the Navy who stuttered. However, on the radio, he NEVER stuttered. It was the darndest thing.

:yeahthat:

I fly gliders with a guy that has probably the worst stutter problem that I have ever seen. As in, it may take him a minute to get a sentence out.

But on the radio, you wouldn't know he ever stuttered at all. :confused:

my only concern is in the time of an emergency where there is a need to communicate quickly with your fellow pilot/co-pilot and the ATC.

FYI... Joe Biden used to have a stuttering problem when he was a teen.
Now he's the vice president elect. On his bio on A&E I remember him saying that he used to stand in front of the mirror and practice slowing down his speach until he got to the point of not stuttering anymore.
On a personal note, my brother stutters and a few years ago he gave a speach at his best friends wedding. We were all anticipating some stuttering but in that high pressure situation he ended being flawless.
You might surprise yourself bro. Just keep at it.
Good luck!:)

Back