Stalls

ZachmanJZ12

Hello
I'm currently have 7.5 hours in a cessna 152. I have a bittersweet attitude towards stalls. Yesterday my instructor and I went up to practice stalls, both power on and power off. For some odd reason I keep wanting to use the yoke and not the rudder pedals, until one wing drops and we are about to enter a spin. You would think I would learn real fast! Finally, I started to get the hang of it, but I have developed a lack of confidence when performing these manuevers. Do any of you guys have any recommendations or techniques to peform a perfect recovery? Thanks!
Jeremy

Just keep doing them and you'll be fine.

Try leading the stall with a little right rudder (stay coordinated though, of course). Might help things. Somebody with time in a 152 would probably be of more help.
cool.gif

If you have a back windo it is better, if not, just look over your shoulder at the elevator, Have your instructor Do a stall, and tell us what you see. it provides a buttload of insight to stalls.

Practice Practice Practice....The more you practice them, the more routine they will become and the better you will be at performing them. Confidence will come eventualy when you are used to performing them. It worked for me....

-shaun

Don't worry, practice will make you more comfortable. I remember when I flew solo to the practice area for the first time, the very first maneuver I did was a power-off stall. I didn't stay coordinated and one wing dropped first and freaked me out. I managed to recover from the stall before going into a spin.
I think my instructor was uneasy with power-on stalls since we only practiced a few (not allowed by flight school to do them solo) and did them with level wings. Then when I had my final stage check before the check ride, the chief flight instructor said "Give me a power-on stall with a 20 degree left turn". I almost put is in a spin again.
Now I am totally comfortable with both of them after doing them numerous times. I forgot if you said you are training in a Cessna. They are extremely stable so don't think you will fall out of the sky just like that. Good luck!

Mahesh

The 152 is very stable, and if a spin were to occur, relaxing all control pressures would likely restore normal flight after some oscillations. Stalls terrified me in the beginning, and while I do not have a passion for them now, I am not afraid of them either. The banked stall in a Cessna is a non-event, the nose just drops.

Your main problem is not using the rudder. I'd suggest some slow flight at MCA (min controllable airspeed) to really give you a feel of the rudder, especially at higher power settings. Remember to "pick up" the down wing with the rudder.

before you hit the rudder.... before you think about the ailerons..... lets all say it together, "relax back pressure" thats the most important first step.

I think the book "Stick and Rudder" describes a lot of the issues with stalls and spins very eloquently in a way unbecoming of an FAA book.

I am admittedly a new CFI. I have had the opportunity to do some BFR's with folks having over 5000 hours.. so we have done some fun stuff like cross-control stalls, etc... and so far what I have come to realize that a lot of the details become moot if ya' just relax that back pressure....

DeanR

Try putting pressure on both of the rudder pedals prior to the stall. I don't know why but it helped me. As for use of the alierons, that will come with practice (as will confidence).

I'd definately recommend spin training if you have the time. It's more than worth it, you understand stalls much better, and you probably will never have the urge to use alierons again!

In a power on stall, make sure you give it some right rudder to keep the ball centered. As stated throughout - stay coordinated. VERY SLIGHT movements on the ailerons should do the trick.

RELEASE THE DEATH GRIP!! I used to hold on to that yoke like a babe to momma's nipple. You need to wheen (whene? ween?) yourself from a tight grip on the yoke if that's an issue. The tighter you hold it, the more apt you are to turn the yoke.

GOOD LUCK! Have fun! Keep us posted!

R2F

One thing that I have not seen suggested with power-on stalls: DO NOT stare at the turn cooridinator!!! Look out the left window at your wing strut. Keep it parallel to a road or some other reference that is straight and use the rudder to keep it parallel and you will not drop a wing.

I had problems dropping the wing in a 172 until I figured that out, now I am golden
cool.gif

Have your instructor show you the value of the rudders. Lean forward so you can see out the front well, and watch the nose yaw left and right as your instructor lets the rudders go and then straightens the nose back out by using the rudders again. I've done that with students, and it really seems to help them because they want to see how to keep the plane from breaking left or right. If you use the rudders very well, you will stay on your point, keep the plane level, and you can even delay the stall or so it seems.

The turning-the-yoke syndrome is common. For some of my students, I actually had them sit on their hands and recover using only their feet (while I held the yoke steady).

Other than that, observe your instructor. Follow through on the controls as he performs stalls to help build a muscle memory that doesn't include turning the yoke.

Beyond that, you can get to a better stall the same way you get to Carnegie Hall. Practice.

Thanks a lot guys! I go back up on Saturday and I'm really excited and hopefully me and the rudder pedals can become friends.
Jeremy

I have about 25 hours total time, with about 23 hours on a PA28-151, 2.5 solo PIC on the Warrior. Right now I'm switching over to the C-152 to finsih my training and currently have 2 hours on it. The 152 stall characteristics seem more unstable than that of the warrior, partly due to the dihedral wing of the PA28. My instructor was ready to sign me off to solo the 152 with only 2.5 hours in it, but I wanted to practice the power on stalls some more. The first few times I had a hard brake due to overcoordination (I think since I've been used to the larger Warrior). The last few times have been better, but I want to go up and practice the power ons with the instructor. Everything else seems the same as with the Warrior. Any advice on mastering the 152 power on stalls would be appreciated, especially in comparison to the Warrior.

Back