Stall warning horn inop....

Today a fellow CFI terminated a flight early today because the stall warning horn was not working.

Its not Airworthy..

but.. Sounds like he didnt want to fly that day hehe

Your suppossed to finish the lesson and report you didnt hear the stall horn on the final landing :nana2:

The turbo seminole we have at our flight school has electric tab style stall warning indicators but you can't test them on the ground. They're disabled by the squat switch.

That is ridiculously stupid. Is there any reason that is so obvious that I'm missing why they would dissable a stall warning horn for any reason?

Un-airworthy, but likely fly-worthy, by the Fed interpretation at the North Florida FSDO. They're big on the whole "if it's on the type's design plan..." angle around here.

Write it up, let mx do their "Will be fixed during 100-hr, okay for RTS" thing, and then fly it. I would not, however, let a student solo in it.

Romeo model.

We pulled the POH and it does have "-R" by it.
"-R" means required for Certification.

So my thought is, what is the purpose of 91.213 (d) if this is not a case of pull it and placard it?

If this doesn't work there, what does?
Look at 91.213(d) again. In order to "pull and placard" the inop equipment cannot be one that is (among other things) "Indicated as required on the aircraft's equipment list..."

91.213 only allows you to "pull and placard" equipment that is =not= required, not equipment that you personally feel should not be required.

Look at 91.213(d) again. In order to "pull and placard" the inop equipment cannot be one that is (among other things) "Indicated as required on the aircraft's equipment list..."

91.213 only allows you to "pull and placard" equipment that is =not= required, not equipment that you personally feel should not be required.

:yeahthat:Thank God. I can't believe we're on the second page before someone mentioned this!

That is ridiculously stupid. Is there any reason that is so obvious that I'm missing why they would dissable a stall warning horn for any reason?

Because more people have gotten in FAA trouble because some unknowing passenger reported that an alarm went of during the landing and the pilot didn't go into all out panic mode or do anything after the landing. Also why some people disable overhead speakers on 1900Cs so pax don't hear the TCAS incorrectly telling the pilots about impending doom and then getting the FAA involved for no reason.

Also, for stall warning, it sometimes freezes on takeoff when your turding around AK, so you get it blaring in your ear for a minute until the heater melts the ice.

Deciding if you can go fly or not is easy.

91.213 (d) (2)
(i) VFR-day type certification
(ii) Aircraft's equipment list, or on the Kinds of Operations list
(iii) 91.205
(iv) AD's

AC 91-67 is a good read. I know it's about MELs but it goes into detail on the required to flow to determine if an airplane is airworthy. I have to be honest, I didn't fully understand this stuff until i was a CFI.

There was a thread not that long ago talking about the pros and cons of the TOMOTAFLAME acronyms and the like. Another good thread to check out.

Because of what I knew (or lack there off) and that thread I now make sure ALL my students can answer the broad and dreaded question..."is it airworthy"

Back