Stage Check Prep

The oral for the Block I 102 check covers V-Speeds & Emergencies for the C172 (Get used to this - every stage you have here will have this). Typically, you're REQUIRED to write out all the V-Speeds, at minimum the Spin Recovery and Stabilized Approach memory items, and usually the stage check pilot will pick 2-3 additional emergencies. My personal 102 Block I check (I do them few and far between these days, though) covers Engine Fire - Start, Engine Failure - Flight, Power-Off Landing as these are the big ones you will need to remember before you solo. Other areas covered are UND SP&P (usually stuff like the UND VFR departure procedure, your wind and weather limits as a student pilot, can you do touch & goes as a student pilot?, etc.), Certificates and Documents related to flight, Student Pilot Privileges and Limitations out of FAR 61, and you will be required to demonstrate that you can calculate C172 Weight/Balance and takeoff performance.

The flight consists of a normal takeoff, navigation out to a practice area, stalls (power-off, power-on, both level flight and with bank - we had a lot of instructors forget this one last semester which led to students getting really nervous about it), some sort of off-airport emergency procedure (typically an engine failure), and then you return to GFK and do one landing and a go-around. Standards for the landing are pretty generous, and really at this point most of the check pilots are just looking for you to be able to safely get the airplane back on the ground without their intervention. The Block I check is basically meant to be a good indicator of whether or not you're ready to solo, so we're not looking for you to meet PTS for landings by a long shot yet.

The HTMLez portal has a study guide you can look over that covers most of the material you will be tested on. Since this is your first stage check, I'll give you the same spiel I usually give when I get a 102 on the other side of the desk. You'll be nervous - we know that. Stage checks aren't designed to be a traumatic experience for you. The check pilot is looking for every reason to pass you, not for every reason to fail you. Try and relax going in, and remember that your instructor has faith in you, otherwise you wouldn't be going in for the check.

Good luck!

You wouldn't be on that side of the table if your instructor didn't already feel like you'd pass the check. Also, listen to what Dirka says and not what your other friends told you about the check.

Back