Sport Pilot Certificate

ktsai91

Does anyone know if I need a medical certificate to be a sport pilot? I was not so sure if I needed one and I heard you can use your driver's license instead. I also heard that there's some kind of catch 22 in this. Can anyone help me on this?

If I can't fly a plane, can I be able to fly an ultralight instead?

You only need a medical if you were denied a medical last time you applied for one. If you let your last medical laspe or never applied for a medical, your drivers license is good, but you have to follow the restrictions on it such as wearing corrective lenses.

so you're saying that if I never ever applied for a medical certificate before, I could use my driver's license for sport pilot? right? I'll be turning 18 next March.

Thats exactly correct. As long as you have NEVER been denied for a medical certificate you can use your valid drivers license to "self certify". If you currently have a medical then you can allow it to expire and still self certify.

Also, you're DL must be current and valid. So in most states when you turn 18 or 21, you must do something to renew it, usually just turn in a renewal card. So make sure you do that.

Plus if you have a SPecial Issuance that will throw a money wrench into it. If you think you will have troubles, do the SPort Pilot and do not try for the medical.

Back