Spirit Hiring Again - June 2024

FXCO

Looks like Spirit is hiring yet again

Can't really make sense of this - they just hired a class, are actively furloughing pilots, and are expected to reduce flights with a large portion of their fleet grounded by the end of the year, with even more grounded after 2025.
Seems risky to go there with their current issues, but still wouldn't be a bad first gig for someone.

is it that bad of a place to work?
Yes, horrible management, way to many managers per DX that collect six figures for doing nothing but harass you about fuel so they can get their bonus, terrible pay, extremely unorganized operation, contract in infinite limbo with mediation not really going anywhere at least for now (not like they even have the money to give, so I highly doubt it’ll even be industry standard if they even get anything), even if they did get a industry standard contract around $80k starting the super expensive cost of living drains your income faster than you can say Smitty WerbenJagerManJensen (SpongeBob joke) and the company itself is leaning towards bankruptcy. Unless you’re absolutely certain you want to live in Florida and no where else then go for it. There is plenty of other dispatch work in Florida for cargo or charter airlines. So if it goes bottom up you’ll be fine if you want to stay in Florida and still be a dispatcher. Only good thing is the 4 on 4 off schedule and trading with other DX. Almost everyone there wants to leave except for the few that are from the original area of the two OCCs and have family there. The general consensus from what I can gather is that Spirit might not even exist in the next 2-5 or so years unless the Feds save them. The future looks really bleak. Only real hope for them was Jet Blue and that fell apart. The hope of the Jet Blue merger was holding that entire place together. There’s a lot more to it but I think you get the gist.

Yes, horrible management, way to many managers per DX that collect six figures for doing nothing but harass you about fuel so they can get their bonus, terrible pay, extremely unorganized operation, contract in infinite limbo with mediation not really going anywhere at least for now (not like they even have the money to give, so I highly doubt it’ll even be industry standard if they even get anything), even if they did get a industry standard contract around $80k starting the super expensive cost of living drains your income faster than you can say Smitty WerbenJagerManJensen (SpongeBob joke) and the company itself is leaning towards bankruptcy. Unless you’re absolutely certain you want to live in Florida and no where else then go for it. There is plenty of other dispatch work in Florida for cargo or charter airlines. So if it goes bottom up you’ll be fine if you want to stay in Florida and still be a dispatcher. Only good thing is the 4 on 4 off schedule and trading with other DX. Almost everyone there wants to leave except for the few that are from the original area of the two OCCs and have family there. The general consensus from what I can gather is that Spirit might not even exist in the next 2-5 or so years unless the Feds save them. The future looks really bleak. Only real hope for them was Jet Blue and that fell apart. The hope of the Jet Blue merger was holding that entire place together. There’s a lot more to it but I think you get the gist.
They actually just put up a sign in the new building in Dania. When you walk into the OCC, you see this:

depositphotos_120483020-stock-photo-abandon-all-hope-ye-who.jpg

I think it looks great!

The general consensus from what I can gather is that Spirit might not even exist in the next 2-5 or so years unless the Feds save them. The future looks really bleak. Only real hope for them was Jet Blue and that fell apart. The hope of the Jet Blue merger was holding that entire place together.

To be fair, it didn't "Fall apart". The government blocked it because it would "reduce the number of choices in that price range". Which is exactly what is going to happen anyways. The Feds just guaranteed that an entire company will not have a job instead of being incorporated into another company.

Ehh I would not be so confident about the other shops in Florida. Most of them either pay terrible or are of questionable job security and/or longetivity. National I hear pays ok and has been around a good while, but that's about it other than NK.

Looks like Spirit is hiring yet again

Can't really make sense of this - they just hired a class, are actively furloughing pilots, and are expected to reduce flights with a large portion of their fleet grounded by the end of the year, with even more grounded after 2025.
Seems risky to go there with their current issues, but still wouldn't be a bad first gig for someone.
Total number of flights per day should remain generally flat through the end of the year. While A320's are being sat down for PW Engine issues, NKS continue to deliver aircraft through 2024. *I am not a finanical advisor.

Ehh I would not be so confident about the other shops in Florida. Most of them either pay terrible or are of questionable job security and/or longetivity. National I hear pays ok and has been around a good while, but that's about it other than NK.
I’m not saying Im confident in other Florida airlines BUT if you just want to be a DX and live there because of family or whatever reason you have to only want to be in FL then there are plenty of options other than NK and some that pay better like you said National, there’s also Global X and Amerijet for example. Not to mention 36 street with all those cargo and charter airlines( job security at those are iffy but pay ok)

To be fair, it didn't "Fall apart". The government blocked it because it would "reduce the number of choices in that price range". Which is exactly what is going to happen anyways. The Feds just guaranteed that an entire company will not have a job instead of being incorporated into another company.
You’re correct, my mistake. But you get my drift, it didn’t work out in the end and that shattered the hope that was left.

Back