Spirit DX....

There is a rumor out there that they could possibly be looking at moving into the old AirTran building in MCO. Not like the rumor mill is a very reputable source tho.

I’ve heard the same rumor. They also just announced a major expansion in MCO

Re: Spirit to MCO

Southwest owns those facilities, I believe. They were part of the AirTran acquisition. Not saying it can't/won't happen, just might be a little more complicated than slapping a 1st/last check on GOAA's rental desk.

Keep hearing that JetBlue may move down to Orlando as well. The lease on their Long Island City offices comes due in 2022. LSC to OSC? Apples turn into Oranges?

Rumor mills are fun.

Southwest owns those facilities, I believe. They were part of the AirTran acquisition. Not saying it can't/won't happen, just might be a little more complicated than slapping a 1st/last check on GOAA's rental desk.

Keep hearing that JetBlue may move down to Orlando as well. The lease on their Long Island City offices comes due in 2022. LSC to OSC? Apples turn into Oranges?

Rumor mills are fun.

From what my friend who works there told me- they want to build a campus with corporate headquarters, OCC and the their training facility all under one roof. He said they also want to build a company owned hotel similar to what Jetblue has in Orlando for their training center. But from what he’s heard that is 3-5 years away and the location still isn’t decided

From what my friend who works there told me- they want to build a campus with corporate headquarters, OCC and the their training facility all under one roof. He said they also want to build a company owned hotel similar to what Jetblue has in Orlando for their training center. But from what he’s heard that is 3-5 years away and the location still isn’t decided

There is certainly enough land around MCO to support a build like that.

Any other locations being rumored? Spirit was originally a DTW airline.

Rumor mills are fun.

Lease is up in 2023, who knows where the SOC will end up. Either somewhere still in NYC or Orlando, we should hopefully know in two years.

Crappy SOC though. Spirit was the only dispatch job I ever turned down.

Do you know if this was in the old OCC or the new OCC? Was that the only reason you turned it down?

Oh it’s not hard to get hired there. They have openings multiple times a year....that usually is enough said.
Oh, and TWU.....

It's now PAFCA.

Don't know what would lead you to believe it's not hard to get hired here...that may have been the case 5+ years ago, but there is a lot more interest in working here now. I don't have data on the number of applications we get, but anecdotally, if we're looking for 4 hires, we'll interview anywhere from 10-20 individuals. It's fairly competitive now.

The openings multiple times a year are not due to turnover; they're due to growth. Last year, we were topping out at 450 flights/day; this year we're over 550; next year will be an even bigger leap. Generally, people who get hired on here tend to stay.

Do you know if this was in the old OCC or the new OCC? Was that the only reason you turned it down?

It's now PAFCA.

Don't know what would lead you to believe it's not hard to get hired here...that may have been the case 5+ years ago, but there is a lot more interest in working here now. I don't have data on the number of applications we get, but anecdotally, if we're looking for 4 hires, we'll interview anywhere from 10-20 individuals. It's fairly competitive now.

The openings multiple times a year are not due to turnover; they're due to growth. Last year, we were topping out at 450 flights/day; this year we're over 550; next year will be an even bigger leap. Generally, people who get hired on here tend to stay.

If I recall correctly flyingmedic is also the one who said it's rare to find a dispatcher with a 4 year degree or a pilot's license. So consider the source.

If I recall correctly flyingmedic is also the one who said it's rare to find a dispatcher with a 4 year degree or a pilot's license. So consider the source.
Yeah. A good number of the dispatchers I work with are either pilots or have their degrees. It's pretty common in my experience at 2 different airlines.

just spoke to a friend there. they just hired a few in two rounds ...i think he said....anywho..they are set for now. Ad is bogus. old. Fake news.

For those that just got their certificates or experienced?

Generally we're looking for either:

1. Dispatchers with previous experience
2. Internal candidates with a license who may-or-may-not have prior dispatch experience

Even with no experience, it doesn't hurt to apply. If the posting requires for a certain amount of experience, you may be filtered out, but sometimes things slip and you may get a call. This applies anywhere, not just Spirit.

Wow. So much negative mis-information in one place. Lots of "I heard" or "one time" comments from people that clearly don't know. Spirit HAD some big problems in the past (from what I hear - I can't say for sure because I wasn't there) but right now I couldn't imagine working any place else. Great QOL, great pay, great people to work with.

We have job openings because we're GROWING, not because we're losing people. People tend to stick around these days. It's actually quite competitive to work here; it's not an easy to get gig like some would have you believe. Also, plenty of 4 year degrees and pilot tickets here, too. Myself included. ULCC doesn't = "bad place to work." It just means you ONLY pay for the things you USE when flying. If I fly WN, I'm paying for 2 bags, a carry-on, a drink and a snack whether I use them or not. Spirit has a great pricing model for A to B transportation.

Not a major airline? LOL. By WHAT standard? I guess then Alaska, Hawaiian, JetBlue, Allegiant,and Frontier aren't either, because they don't do any more flying that Spirit does. Wikipedia says we're a major so it must be true! Ha ha! I win!

Long story short (too late), don't make assumptions, ask a question. Don't judge the present situation by past events. What "used to be" and what ARE, are two different animals. And if you don't have current firsthand information, don't act like you do. Lots of us here would love to put the old Spirit horror stories to rest permanently.

Me or Johnotd would be happy to answer any questions about spirit. I think Delta Echo works here too, but I don't know for sure.

Clearly Spirit's new contract hasn't become very well known yet either, because if it had people wouldn't be laughing at the idea of working there. The idea of waiting around at a regional for 5-10 years hoping to get on with a legacy rather than going somewhere like Spirit to build seniority and reap the rewards of their growth and success is laughable.

Clearly Spirit's new contract hasn't become very well known yet either, because if it had people wouldn't be laughing at the idea of working there. The idea of waiting around at a regional for 5-10 years hoping to get on with a legacy rather than going somewhere like Spirit to build seniority and reap the rewards of their growth and success is laughable.
Some people have tunnel vision. I say let them enjoy scraping by at a regional cuz they feel the Spirit's of the industry are not worth their time. Their loss.

Back