Spirit Airlines: flights from $1.11!

#### isn't cheap in this country anymore.

It's not? I just let a steaming coil in the toilet and it didn't cost a dime! :)

Am I supposed to report my own post? How's that work!

Oh, you tattletale! You know what we do to snitches around here... ;)

darrenf ( mailto:*deleted* ) has reported this post:

Re: Spirit Airlines: flights from $1.11!
http://forums.jetcareers.com/genera...lights-from-1-11-a-post909472.html#post909472

This is part of this thread:
Spirit Airlines: flights from $1.11!
http://forums.jetcareers.com/general-topics/68929-spirit-airlines-flights-from-1-11-a.html

This is the reason that the user gave:
That's NASTY!!! :)

This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all administrators if there are no moderators.

Please respond to this post as applicable.

Amazing.

People inside the industry are willing to chop their own legs off for a cheap fare. . .

No wonder why we can't convince the flying public that it SHOULD cost SUBSTANTIALLY more than it does to drive from Point A to Point B.

You're on a damn airplane folks, and it moves fast. Wake up. #### isn't cheap in this country anymore.

Sorry...the flight crews of an airline arent going to convince the flying public that their ticket should cost more.

When i look for a flight, hate to say it (along with a majority of folks) we look at price and schedule. If we're willing to sacrifice our schedule for a cheaper price, so be it. But dont start getting UPSET when YOUR company offers something to ME that puts you in the NEGATIVE. Stop holding the player accountable, and hold the referee instead!

It's gonna sound harsh, but this is a capitalism at it's best. If you dont like it, dont be a part of it....

Marketing uses this to attact internet attention. It's less costly than glossy ads in magazines. By the time others look, the two seats available at that price are gone. People see the offerings and still book, despite the higher price--if they are still available. Many routes are rarely discounted because they don't have to do so. Did you know that planes can be booked to full capacity at no discounts at 3:30 AM departures? It's true.

Oh, and by the way, you have to pay for everything else as a la carte. So, it's really not as low as it seems on its face. They make that clear when you book.

I agree....they typically pull a stunt like this, just to reel you in, only to say that those seats are sold.

Sorry...the flight crews of an airline arent going to convince the flying public that their ticket should cost more.

When i look for a flight, hate to say it (along with a majority of folks) we look at price and schedule. If we're willing to sacrifice our schedule for a cheaper price, so be it. But dont start getting UPSET when YOUR company offers something to ME that puts you in the NEGATIVE. Stop holding the player accountable, and hold the referee instead!

It's gonna sound harsh, but this is a capitalism at it's best. If you dont like it, dont be a part of it....

Once again. . .Amazing.

I highly recommend that you - sooner rather than later - realize that if you're going to have ANY part in the airline industry as a pilot - I hope that you end up putting you and your families ability to survive before the needs of the customers. The same customers who have been able to get cheap fares on the backs of employees giving concessions.

It's gonna sound harsh, but I'm not willing to have some college educated business major kid (not sure if you fit into this category Bigey, hopefully not. . .) come into the industry willing to sell him/herself out so that customers can continue to reap the benefits of cheap labor. Hell friggin no. It really appears the lack of maturity that most of these kids have is what allows them to hold this opinion. Once they end up getting married, starting a family, with a mortgage, things change pretty dang quickly. In my extremely short exposure to my fellow FOs. . .I've seen and heard the opinions change.

The time is now to get one's head straight and realize these simple observations.

Once again. . .Amazing.

I highly recommend that you - sooner rather than later - realize that if you're going to have ANY part in the airline industry as a pilot - I hope that you end up putting you and your families ability to survive before the needs of the customers. The same customers who have been able to get cheap fares on the backs of employees giving concessions.

It's gonna sound harsh, but I'm not willing to have some college educated business major kid (not sure if you fit into this category Bigey, hopefully not. . .) come into the industry willing to sell him/herself out so that customers can continue to reap the benefits of cheap labor. Hell friggin no. It really appears the lack of maturity that most of these kids have is what allows them to hold this opinion. Once they end up getting married, starting a family, with a mortgage, things change pretty dang quickly. In my extremely short exposure to my fellow FOs. . .I've seen and heard the opinions change.

The time is now to get one's head straight and realize these simple observations.

Any business that puts it's own needs ahead of the customers is not long for this world. Bigey is right, it is capitalism. Whoever can provide the service at the lowest price will get the most customers. If you lower the price to the point you can't cover costs and make a profit, you go under. Very simple. You know what, if the industry doesn't pay enough for you, find another industry. Simple as that.

Okay, it's quite obvious both of you are missing what I'm trying to say.

I will always put my family and my profession ahead of finding the lowest cost ticket. I will GLADLY pay a higher, more realistic fare for air travel than Joe Six Pack customer because I want to actually feel as if my purchase is HELPING an industry stay afloat.

Find the cheapest fares all you guys want. . .really don't give a ####. What I give a #### about is the end of employee groups giving concessions for management teams to continue to #### things up. The End.

Some of us give a damn about our fellow co-workers, some of us don't. It's easy to spot those who are willing to play into management's hand without even thinking. It's even easier to spot those of us who are willing to sell themselves and their fellow co-workers out for some cheap fare.

Find the cheapest fares all you guys want. . .really don't give a ####. What I give a #### is the end of employee groups giving concessions for management teams to continue to #### things up. The End.

Those are 2 different issues. There is nothing wrong with anyone finding a good deal, and still not giving concessions to management. I suppose you will never use a buddy pass because you want to contribute to the company?

And surreal, maybe it's not that you are typing too much, maybe its what you are currently typing. I think you are a bit to emotional on this topic to think clearly as you type. Capitalisms??

Josh I am going to have to call you out on your BS. If you believe the things you say you wouldn't have taken a pay cut to fly a jet. I also do not plan to see you non-rev on any airline but ASA.

Josh I am going to have to call you out on your BS. If you believe the things you say you wouldn't have taken a pay cut to fly a jet. I also do not plan to see you non-rev on any airline but ASA.

What exactly is my BS? You know I'll gladly take any comment if you actually quote me man.

Further, the nature of my specific personal desires (not having to commute) meant going to work where I did. Pay cut, yup. . .but so be it. Was going to happen at some point, fact of the industry right now.

And you're right, you won't see me non-rev on any other airline other than the one I'm employed with. I very well might jumpseat on another airline, but once again - that's a benefit of employment and a union benefit that has been negotiated for me over years past.

:) (In AGS tomorrow evening, and MEI on the 4th. . .where you at?)

darrenf said:
Capitalisms??

You're right, my fingers are moving far too quickly. This is an extremely emotional topic for me. Growing up in an Airline family and seeing the facts of life first hand is not something that will ever disappear quickly from my mind, if ever.

Anyway

I'm off to bed. . .so that I can go and be part of the problem tomorrow.

I'll most likely totally forget about this thread by 7pm tomorrow evening to even bother to check this forum if even I open up my laptop to accomplish some higher education. All the best guys, ######## or not. . .I'll stand by everything I've already said. ;) Night

Hypothetical now....If airline employees didn't get to pretty much fly anywhere they wanted for free, what percentage do you think would take the cheap fare vs. the more expensive one?

I'm willing to bet that a good majority of them would take the cheapest fares they could find that fit their schedule.

Hypothetical now....If airline employees didn't get to pretty much fly anywhere they wanted for free, what percentage do you think would take the cheap fare vs. the more expensive one?

I'm willing to bet that a good majority of them would take the cheapest fares they could find that fit their schedule.

As an "airline" family, who's bought several airline tickets (as a pax, NOT using any ID-anythings) I buy my tickets based on days of travel, connections/connection cities, and time of day. Price is a factor, but whether or not a flight connects, and in what city is a far greater factor for me.

For example, when I by my mom a ticket to come to IND from WI, I send her on MidEx. (Well, Skyway or Skywest......). Why? Because I don't want to send her through ORD! I'd rather have her go through MKE. And it's worth a few extra dollars to send her that way.

When I bought tickets for a trip to the boundary waters several years ago, I would have spent extra for a direct flight from ORD to DLH. None existed at the time (Eagle wasn't serving DLH at the time) so I had to buy a connection through MSP on NW.

So, people have many criteria for buying tickets, price being a factor, but not always THE determining factor, even for airline employees. :)

This is why the line has to be drawn on federal bailouts, as well as union compensation. No matter what they get, management is just going to try to grab more marketshare by underpricing. A year later it'll be the same old tired tapdance of "Hey, taxpayers, we need some free money because the greedy pilots have bled us dry". A-holes.

Also. No one cares what you "should" get paid. They care what they pay. You could show up at the airport in your car/apartment and they'd still think you're working one of your five days a month and banging hot stews at every overnight. Succinctly: F the public and F management, support your union.

Back