Speed Below 10,000 feet

Jason

I have a question for all ya'll (by the way - the term 'all ya'll' is a perfectly acceptable term here in southern Indiana!) - regarding the speed restriction of 250 knots below 10,000 - I know there was at one time a trial program where ATC could authorize greater than 250 knots below 10,000 in certain locations. I believe Houston was one of them. Is this program still in effect? If so, is it addressed in either the AIM or FAR's? I've been looking and have not found anything except 91.117 which doesn't address the trial program and the speed paragraph in the AIM which is basically just a reprint of 91.117.

Thanks - Jason

Houston lets you do it and FLL approach expects it when you're landing west and you're more than 12 miles out.

Usually we flew 'balls to the wall' with the weather radar tilted down to map the shoreline to determine when we're less than 12 miles offshore to begin slowing.

Ed did you hear that there in your 172??
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You typically hear Socal saying 'cancel speed restriction' to the big jets at LAX.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might just mean on the STAR. The 250 limit still applies below 10,000, but sometimes they want you to cross certain intersections at 210 kias, or 180 kias.

Many military fighters and fighter-trainers are waivered from the 250 below 10K restriction due to tech-order needs.

MD

There's a private owned F-104 at IWA that has a waiver because it has a stall speed of close to 200 knots. Not sure about that speed since I've never flown one. The guy told me he had to replace the tires every 14 landings too.

[ QUOTE ]
There's a private owned F-104 at IWA that has a waiver because it has a stall speed of close to 200 knots. Not sure about that speed since I've never flown one. The guy told me he had to replace the tires every 14 landings too.

[/ QUOTE ]

104's got a final turn speed of @200+ with a final approach speed of @190+.

Used to watch the Luke AFB F-104s work the landing pattern. Pretty neat.

MD

Not just military aircraft routinely exceed 250 below 10k, the larger heavies do as well. The fastest of all of them is the MD-11, we climb at 289 kts indicated at max weight below 10k, and we do not need a clearance to do that, 91.117d covers it.

In a heavy MD-90 we regularly fly up to 260 knots because of the clean-wing manuevering speed.

Back