Speaking of turbine PIC

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Speaking of turbine PIC, in another thread, I knew lots of guys at Skyway that didn't even start applying to the majors until they reached 1000 hours of turbine PIC.

At first I thought they were nuts, but if you look around at some corporate and fractional minimums, a good number of them require 1000 hours of turbine PIC, including Federal Express and UPS (I think).

I've been flying nothing but turbine time for about 8 years and I don't have any more than a few hundred.

I'm sure you've been asked this before but what were your times when you were hired at DTA?

I think I interviewed with about 3000 hours, 1700 hours of multi-engine, 1500 hours of turbine.

Oh, and countless hours spent at Kinkos copies on 76th street in Greenfield, Wisconsin!

[ QUOTE ]
turbine = turboprop or jet.

I have zero jet PIC.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are typed in the MDs, right? That's the good thing about single-seat jet, it's all PIC time. I guess that's how the 1300 hour F-16 pilots you were mentioning manage to get hired. I talked to a guy I knew that was flying KC-10s, and he was saying that they (co-pilots) only are required to get a landing every 30 days, but mostly do it in the sim. Not until they upgrade to AC do they get the full range of privileges.

Nope, not type-rated in the MD's at all. Just a standard part-121 second-in-command checkout.

In fact, here's a little trivia for ya! There is no such animal as a MD-88/90 type rating.

All of our captains have DC-9 type ratings!

I wouldn't know where to start with a DC-9:
dc90.jpg

MD-90

md90.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Way to many of those round, clock looking thingys in that 9
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, I've seen Cessna's with far more advanced IFR panels than my jet has.

Mike -

Kinda off topic but your last post there remined me of a question I've always wondered about.

Are you guys assigned you're own airframe (tail number) or do you swap around and fly whatever is available?

[ QUOTE ]
Mike -

Kinda off topic but your last post there remined me of a question I've always wondered about.

Are you guys assigned you're own airframe (tail number) or do you swap around and fly whatever is available?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both. We're assigned a tail number which our name is on, but fly whatever comes online for that day's schedule. Due to aircraft rotation, routine maintenance, broke jets, etc; it's a crap shoot whether you fly you own jet at any given time. My particular bird 79-0209, is normally broken and/or missing parts to other birds on any given day.

Back