Speaking Another Language

Parabellum

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if its important for airline pilots, especially those who fly international routes alot, to be able to speak other languages besides English. From what I understand, most air traffic control throughout the world is spoken in English, but I would think getting around some foreign country would be a different story.

As in my case, I took Spanish starting in middle school and took it almost entirely throughout high school. However, I haven't used it at all in college and am afraid I'm forgetting it all. Considering that many U.S. airlines do regular flights to Latin America, I think it would be in my best interest to try to learn it again.

Also, what if they send you on a flight to a Spanish speaking country one day and then send you to Germany the next? I could certainly see myself being bilingual, but trilingual? I would just have to see about that.

My dream of becoming an airline pilot is to make flights to Latin America. Hopefully my Hispanic family background will be beneficial to me during the hiring process since I speak Spanish/English fluently. I took some Spanish in college, but didn't learn much - it's best to have learned it at home or go to Spanish speaking country to learn it.

My major is Int'l Business w/ Latin America as my region of study, so hopefully that'll increase my chances of getting the slots in the Latin American flights...hopefully after landing into an international airline job. Any thoughts on this too?

Well, when it comes to picking flights, just like everything else at most airlines...SENIORITY TALKS....

So, if you're senior enough to get the plane you want that flies international routes. And then you're senior enough to bid a line (line = routes for a month) that you want and get it, great for you.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, when it comes to picking flights, just like everything else at most airlines...SENIORITY TALKS....

So, if you're senior enough to get the plane you want that flies international routes. And then you're senior enough to bid a line (line = routes for a month) that you want and get it, great for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup...MANY MANY MANY years from now
grin.gif

The only advantage I see is that it would be easier to ask where the bathroom is at the destination airport.
grin.gif
You have to be able to speak English to fly anywhere in the world, and routes are based on senority. So it won't advance your career any faster but it might make it easier for you to communicate with the people in the country you fly to.

As far as the airlines go, I don't think a second language would be necessary because the language of aviation is english. In other words, ATC in foreign countries are required to speak English.

A second language would probably be more helpful if you were a corporate pilot. It might help you to deal with FBOs, fuelers, mechanics, etc., especially if you flew to the less traveled parts of the world.

Back