SpaceTEC Aerospace Technician Certification

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
What in the world is this? Is it useful at all?
I looked at the "Core Certification Competencies" and it basically looks like airframe license kinds of things.

What in the world is this? Is it useful at all?
I looked at the "Core Certification Competencies" and it basically looks like airframe license kinds of things.
Created through a National Science Foundation grant in 2004, the SpaceTEC Certified Aerospace Technician program is driven by standards developed to support the nation's space industry. Over 430 technicians supporting NASA's human space flight programs have obtained the certification to-date. Those with an A&P, aerospace industry or military experience are eligible.
The FAA and US aircraft operators created the safest transportation system on earth and this legacy was leveraged to create this unique skill set.
The certification competencies, developed through industry/academic job task analyses (JTA's), meet the highly specialized spacecraft integration and propellant handling work unique to space vehicle manufacturing, launch site integration and launch processing.
In 2011 the FAA Office of Commercial Space (FAA-AST) issued SpaceTEC only the 3rd FAA-AST Safety Approval, SA 11-003, for its personnel certification programs. In 2016, FAA-AST renewed SpaceTEC's Safety Approval for an additional five years.
In June 2017, SpaceTEC Partners. Inc., the non-profit corporation over it's SpaceTEC, CertTEC and Credential Testing Services divisions, entered into a partnership agreement with ASTM International to administer all SpaceTEC certification standards through their consensus standards committees.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the care and time to go through the effort of joining JetCareers to give a very good explanation of what it's about. I really appreciate that.
I don't have any plans to join the spacecraft industry, but at least I know what it is now. However, I have some friends/former coworkers in Huntsville Alabama who keep trying to get me to go down there.
For right now though, an A&P is more useful for my intentions.
If my dreams of flying and working on floatplanes and bush planes someplace remote doesn't work out, maybe I'll come down get SpaceTec certified.
Thanks again for clearing that up!

Back