Space Ship Two down near Mojave

A quick read of John Young's autobiography (which says nothing about him, but some brilliant technical details on all programmes he was involved in) shows how riven with serious safety compromises the Shuttle program was and how many major single fault failures they were carrying.

Oh god, do we have to play the THE MEDIA IS SO STUPID!!!!! game with this one too? Bleh.

On a personal note: I find this news terribly distressing, in addition to the loss of life, because it could spell doom for private manned space flight for the foreseeable future. That would be a tragedy.

Oh god, do we have to play the THE MEDIA IS SO STUPID!!!!! game with this one too? Bleh.

On a personal note: I find this news terribly distressing, in addition to the loss of life, because it could spell doom for private manned space flight for the foreseeable future. That would be a tragedy.
Did you watch that clip? Tell me if it had any amount of substance whatsoever

I think you guys are throwing words in Seggy's mouth. His only point is a accurate. A 1.5% catastrophic failure rate isn't "safe" by any engineering standard. Is it worth still pursuing? Sure, as long as people are willing to take the challenge.

As for me, I've orphaned enough Kerbals to say "no thanks" personally.

I think you guys are throwing words in Seggy's mouth. His only point is a accurate. A 1.5% catastrophic failure rate isn't "safe" by any engineering standard. Is it worth still pursuing? Sure, as long as people are willing to take the challenge.

As for me, I've orphaned enough Kerbals to say "no thanks" personally.
You still leaving Kerbals on foreign planets?

I was very sad to hear about this. I'm sure those of us who know the member who surely can't post about this all have our thoughts with him right now and I hope he knows it. Just a damn shame all around. I supposed all we can do from the sidelines is hope for a thorough investigation which hopefully ensures no further loss of life or equipment in this manner again, and that what is learned from this accident will only help to further advance the project rather than halt it. I truly hope the survivor pulls through...

How do you figure space flight has a horrific safety record? It flew roughly 135 flights over 30 years and had two spaceship losses totaling 14 crew members. Apollo launched 10 ships and lost no one and lost only 3 to a ground fire. Not to mention that Mercury and Gemini lost none. Apollo Soyuz was a success as well as the SkyLab missions. This is the US alone...not to mention Russia and Japan. For as unforgiving as space flight is, I would say it has a very good record.
I would consider both Shuttle losses unacceptable, given the extensive engineering agitation that went on about them before the accidents happened.

I was very sad to hear about this. I'm sure those of us who know the member who surely can't post about this all have our thoughts with him right now and I hope he knows it. Just a damn shame all around. I supposed all we can do from the sidelines is hope for a thorough investigation which hopefully ensures no further loss of life or equipment in this manner again, and that what is learned from this accident will only help to further advance the project rather than halt it. I truly hope the survivor pulls through...

Huh?

How do you figure space flight has a horrific safety record? It flew roughly 135 flights over 30 years and had two spaceship losses totaling 14 crew members.

If we use the same percentage that would be 15 airplane crashes into and out of Atlanta... Every day.

Space X and Boeing won't be slowed by this event or the Orbital Science explosion.
The flight termination system of the Orbital Science craft was activated; that is, the craft was deliberately destroyed, as I understand it, to protect persons and property on the surface.

If we use the same percentage that would be 15 airplane crashes into and out of Atlanta... Every day.

Did you do the math on that? If so kudos.
damnson.jpg

Back