Southwest Landing in the News

Houston

Passengers on board a Southwest Airlines plane screamed, cried and vomited during an attempted landing in a storm in New Orleans.

The harrowing incident on Southwest Airlines Flight 3461 on Saturday also prompted one passenger to send goodbye texts to loved ones as the pilot attempted to land the plane, which had set off from Fort Lauderdale.

“I thought we were going to crash,” WWLTV reporter Lauren Bale, who was a passenger on board the flight, said.

“It was going all over the place. People were screaming, people were crying. The flight attendants were yelling over the speakers to fasten seat belts as tightly as possible and I was texting my family goodbye,” she added in comments carried by UK newspaper The Daily Mail. “I just don't understand why [Southwest Airlines] put everyone in that situation.”

Another passenger, Marie Wary, told WWLTV she felt like she was about to die as the plane attempted to land, while at least one passenger vomited during the incident.

etc., etc., etc.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...t-airlines-landing/ar-AAvUKsY?ocid=spartandhp

Theses type stories seem to suggest that because someone on the plane thought they were going to die, that they were actually in danger of dying, which is not the case. Just about every family function im forced to go to I get a distant relative who tells me their airline horror story and the type they dropped like "5000 feet".

Was on a SWA flight a couple weeks ago into BNA. We're on final, clouds are really low, rainy and gusty. Suddenly (for a 737) the engines spool up and we start climbing - clearly a go-around or something. Pax start freaking out.

After a bit, we land. Pilot comes on as we get to the gate, says that the wind shifted hard and it was outside the crosswind tolerances for landing, so we went back up and got a different runway.

As we're deplaning, people are on their phones about how we nearly died because the pilots read the wind wrong or something and the wind shouldn't matter and OMFG I'm never flying this airline again...

I hate people sometimes.

EDIT - the landing at BNA that night was the smoothest greaser landing I've ever experienced on an airliner. We snuck up on the ground.

Last edited:
but-did-you-die-feat-1-620x350.jpg

Sounds like my flight going into LGA this morning. People in general are so dramatic when in reality they wouldn’t know danger if it’s was right in front of them.

Sounds like my flight going into LGA this morning. People in general are so dramatic when in reality they wouldn’t know danger if it’s was right in front of them.

I was checking foreflight around the metro area and saw quite a few PIREPS for extreme turbulence. Must have been quite a ride lol

Well, of course it wouldn't have freaked us out. We're aviation folks. We have some idea of what goes on up there and why things happen the way they happen. We are familiar. PAX aren't.

Its like the first time I learned to swim in the ocean. It terrified me (still does sometimes) because it was so unknown and the power of the ocean was something I'd never experienced before. I could swim like a fish in the pool, but get me out in the waves, I'd freak out a little. Over time, I learned about the ocean and how to read waves, and what to do if I got pummeled. Now I'm mostly relaxed about it.

Some people just LOVE drama. I was deadheading on mainline UAL last year into DEN, and it was a bit bumpy but nothing unusual for DEN. This idiot lady in front of me kept going on an on how horrifying the flight was, and called several people on her cell during the taxi in to tell them how scary and terrifying the flight was. Again, a basically normal flight.

Some people just LOVE drama. I was deadheading on mainline UAL last year into DEN, and it was a bit bumpy but nothing unusual for DEN. This idiot lady in front of me kept going on an on how horrifying the flight was, and called several people on her cell during the taxi in to tell them how scary and terrifying the flight was. Again, a basically normal flight.
“Smooth landing”

“Yeah, about that float...”

Back