Southwest Jumpseat Question

BruinsFan

For anyone who works for Southwest. Every time I jumpseat on Southwest, CASS pulls me up just fine, but my jumpseat pass lists my position as a Pilot and not a Dispatcher. This hasn't been a problem for me yet, but I am wondering if it will cause me some problems in the future, and how we can get the pass to show my proper position, since a lot of pilots are getting audited on this and I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

You need to tell the gate agent you are a dispatcher. If it says pilot, the agent did it wrong. It's really not that big of a deal in my opinion but I did have a captain go up to the gate after i boarded and made the gate agent correct. Maybe one of the WN guys can chime in.

Had a question if I list for the jumpseat will they put me in the cabin if seats are availableand how many jumpseats on the 717 and 737.Who do I list with the service desk at the airport or the gate.

There is a 1-800 number you call to list for a particular flight. You then check in at the gate and identify yourself as a jumpseater. If there are cabin seats available, they will give you a boarding pass with a number and letter like everyone else and you would line up at the back of the pack and would get an open seat in the cabin, as all seats on Southwest are unassigned. The 737 had one jumpseat that I have used before, and I saw what looked like a second one behind the captain. If there is a Southwest pilot trying to jumpseat, he can also use a flight attendant jumpseat to free up the cockpit jumpseat for you as well.

I have never jumped on SWA yet but I was just talking to someone last week who has and they brought up how they don't have a selection for Dispatcher. Just Pilot and FA. Considering we have the same jumpseat authority (flightdeck access) as pilots I don't see any issue with us just being listed as such especially if its a system limitation on their end.

The gate agent is making a mistake in typing you in - I've had this happen to me before also. Tell them you're a dispatcher when they fill out the form...they aren't used to seeing non-pilots jumpseating.

Had a question if I list for the jumpseat will they put me in the cabin if seats are available and how many jumpseats on the 717 and 737.Who do I list with the service desk at the airport or the gate.

To the best of my knowledge there is 1 on each. The 717 I know for sure as I had it jumping out of MEM. Any bags go in the cabin as very little room for any extra up front. Most airlines you jump on will put you in the cabin first if available before the jumpseat. You can list at the gate but the preferred method is by calling the 800 number (and they will remind you of it).

Most of their 737s have two jumpseats. I don't use them that often so I don't know if the 800's have two or not. Sucks to be in the second jumpseat though.

Most of their 737s have two jumpseats. I don't use them that often so I don't know if the 800's have two or not. Sucks to be in the second jumpseat though.

All the times I have jumpseated on WN, the gate agent has let me board first and if they need to move you up front they will. Ironically I have been asked to deplane but only once.

Yes they want you to list via their 800 number.

I can say the primary jumpseat isn't much better than the secondary. In that aspect the I do like the jumpseats on the A320 series a whole lot better.

For anyone who works for Southwest. Every time I jumpseat on Southwest, CASS pulls me up just fine, but my jumpseat pass lists my position as a Pilot and not a Dispatcher. This hasn't been a problem for me yet, but I am wondering if it will cause me some problems in the future, and how we can get the pass to show my proper position, since a lot of pilots are getting audited on this and I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

Commuted on SWA for a year, its was 50/50 whether my pass would say Pilot or Dispatcher and honestly makes no difference. CASS cleared you so you are good, just make sure you tell the Captain you are who you are, I was never questioned. Agents just dont know any better.

Had a question if I list for the jumpseat will they put me in the cabin if seats are available and how many jumpseats on the 717 and 737.Who do I list with the service desk at the airport or the gate.

You board first before all pax and take a revenue seat. IF and only IF the flight is full will they call you up to sit jumpseat. Most 737 have 2, HOWEVER the old AA birds they bought only have 1. I have only seen those planes once maybe twice in my career.

I have always pre-boarded as a jumper. However, just know you cannot sit in the exit row as a jumpseater. It is written this way for their employees also---I had a more "senior" flight attendant inform me that we (jumpseaters) cannot sit in the exit row as it is for their paying customers. Sit in row 1 and enjoy it. SWA has always been good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only jumped twice on SWA and never been offered a pre board. I tend to sit quietly out of the way and board last so as to be as unobtrusive as possible though. Maybe I missed an opportunity.

I inquired as to when to board and the gate agent said, jumpseaters pre-board and then if need be they will move you to the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just about every 737 has the two seats, though not every crew is excited about having someone on the second seat since it makes for a pretty uncomfortable ride for all involved.

For SWA they want you to list on the phone but the agents can do it at the podium as well. If there are seats open you'll get to board first, just don't snag an exit row because they like to keep those for their FFs and can get a bit touchy about it.

You need to tell the gate agent you are a dispatcher. If it says pilot, the agent did it wrong. It's really not that big of a deal in my opinion but I did have a captain go up to the gate after i boarded and made the gate agent correct. Maybe one of the WN guys can chime in.
I have never jumped on SWA yet but I was just talking to someone last week who has and they brought up how they don't have a selection for Dispatcher. Just Pilot and FA. Considering we have the same jumpseat authority (flightdeck access) as pilots I don't see any issue with us just being listed as such especially if its a system limitation on their end.

Not a WN guy but I dated a WN Gate Agent for a while and they assign us boarding priority G which, like PHL said, comes up as Pilot. I've had a WN Captain correct my Jumpseat Authorization, too, so whomever the gate agent is should probably still take the time to type out that you're a Dispatcher. Not to generalize but gate agents really are the BIGGEST hassle when it comes to Jumpseating, IMO.

Just at SWA, dont take the exit row. We had a DXR at my carrier who, when JSing on a SWA flight, was told when boarding by the senior stew (he was seated in the back) to move from the exit row seat he had taken.

SWA unofficial policy is the exit row is paying pax only, regardless of if they know squat or not.

Just at SWA, dont take the exit row. We had a DXR at my carrier who, when JSing on a SWA flight, was told when boarding by the senior stew (he was seated in the back) to move from the exit row seat he had taken.

SWA unofficial policy is the exit row is paying pax only, regardless of if they know squat or not.

That's weird, my first thought is he must've rubbed the crew the wrong way somehow because every time I've Jumped on SWA I've boarded first (or last of the non-rev riders, out of courtesy) and have pretty much been able to sit where I please when in the cabin.

Back