Southwest flight heading for Oklahoma City dives to 500 feet above neighborhood

Guy at work today said he had worked this guy before OKC approach and was talking about it..... Curious how this would happen
A few years ago I (a CFI) was working with a southwest captain DPE who was telling me how they set minimums/field elevation (I forget which) in the MCP for precision approaches. I was a CFII but limited to pistons at that point and that definitely struck me as strange so I asked him why, he said he had no idea. Not to toot my own horn but this exact scenario to a T immediately came to mind as a glaringly obvious risk of doing that, and if that is still their policy I would still have to say I cant see why.

I’m glad no one from my airline is taking the “HAR HAR HAR” approach because we all know where and how we got our go around procedures (“Pro CEEEEEEEEED yuurs” if you’ve watched the first “Police Academy” movie)

I’m glad no one from my airline is taking the “HAR HAR HAR” approach because we all know where and how we got our go around procedures (“Pro CEEEEEEEEED yuurs” if you’ve watched the first “Police Academy” movie)
My fleet does a pretty rough job at go-arounds, esp with people who are off other fleets

My fleet does a pretty rough job at go-arounds, esp with people who are off other fleets

At the end of the day:

Add power
Climb away from the ground
Clean the aircraft up incrementally
Get it navigating to somewhere and climbing to somewhere; or just enter the closed traffic pattern.

Some people try to turn it into rocket science.

At the end of the day:

Add power
Get it navigating to somewhere and climbing to somewhere; or just enter the closed traffic pattern.

Or sometimes, when that PAR controller got dyslexic and told you "left of course turn right XXX....." too many times, and its actual mins, and you are actually really low on gas when they say "execute missed approach" and then you see the runway and break out (well RIGHT of the runway I might add) as you are raising the gear and adding power, you throw the gear back down, reselect flaps full, tell them you are turning tower downwind and switching to tower freq, and you fly a "modified" carrier pattern circling to land and don't f it up. Doesn't have to be rocket science. Story a "friend" once told me. "He" managed to not hit the water tower on "downwind", though only because he knew where it was, because "he" might have been level with it :)

Last edited:
At the end of the day:

Add power

Over-reliance on automation and flight directors. The challenge, often, is assuming the FD’s are giving you guidance, when they’re probably still in another mode.

There’s a famous case where the crew thought they had activated the go around mode, didn’t understand why the thrust levers weren’t advancing, advanced the thrust levers and just went faster at the ground.

I’m not going to poo poo SWA because there are some other more brain itch events that didn’t hit the media. Nutso things happen with regularity but 1% of 1% of 1% gets discovered by the media.

A few years ago I (a CFI) was working with a southwest captain DPE who was telling me how they set minimums/field elevation (I forget which) in the MCP for precision approaches. I was a CFII but limited to pistons at that point and that definitely struck me as strange so I asked him why, he said he had no idea. Not to toot my own horn but this exact scenario to a T immediately came to mind as a glaringly obvious risk of doing that, and if that is still their policy I would still have to say I cant see why.
Luckily the "setting zeros" thing is no more.

It took them a while but we got on board with setting missed approach altitudes prior to 1000 feet or whatever.

It's not?
Cub_on_floats.jpg

Back