Southwest flight heading for Oklahoma City dives to 500 feet above neighborhood

Dear SWA, could you please stay up at altitude until at the normal place to be at 500 AGL? I’ve got enough things to avoid down there in my helo between the ground, stuff attached to the ground, drones, RC planes, birds, and other helos. Thxbye! :) :)

Dear SWA, could you please stay up at altitude until at the normal place to be at 500 AGL? I’ve got enough things to avoid down there in my helo between the ground, stuff attached to the ground, drones, RC planes, birds, and other helos. Thxbye! :) :)

Didn't you see the NOTAM about the B737, 9nm from the aerodrome operating at 500agl ? I'm sure it is in there somewhere between the unlit Walmart parking lot lights and the other one about AMOCs for 5G.

The setup here reminds be of another incident. If SWA was 9 miles north of OKC, that would put them in the vicinity of WPA, same airport orientation. Wonder if on a night visual and saw that?

Remember the 747 Dreamlifter that landed at AAO instead of IAB….about 8 miles north…on a night visual, about a decade ago?

The setup here reminds be of another incident. If SWA was 9 miles north of OKC, that would put them in the vicinity of WPA, same airport orientation. Wonder if on a visual and saw that?

Remember the 747 Dreamlifter that landed at AAO instead of IAB….about 8 miles north…on a night visual, about a decade ago?
I had a similar thought

Gro
The setup here reminds be of another incident. If SWA was 9 miles north of OKC, that would put them in the vicinity of WPA, same airport orientation. Wonder if on a night visual and saw that?

Ground track has them well inside of those points. Id love to hear the ATC audio.

Yeah after looking at the sectional I don’t really see any likely candidate for an accidental wrong airport line
Perhaps some highway, or other visual illusion got them, I dont know if ive ever flown in that runway at night to know if thats common there. I know on the Bus if you have the wrong altimeter in, it will fly a beautiful RNAV on the path it *thinks its on, Reference Airhub airlines in Orly.

Attachments

• lucy-ew.gif
    lucy-ew.gif
    63.6 KB · Views: 29

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is investigating a Southwest Airlines flight that dropped to around 500 feet from the ground earlier this week during a missed approach while landing at Oklahoma City's Will Rogers World Airport, reports say.

Data from the flight-tracking website FlightAware shows that the Boeing 737-800 passenger jet was flying low over Yukon — a city on the outskirts of Oklahoma City — around midnight on Wednesday before gaining altitude, circling and landing about 10 minutes later.

"Southwest 4069, low altitude alert. You good out there?" an air traffic controller was heard asking the pilot, according to The Oklahoman.

The aircraft’s low flight path sparked concern on social media, with one local resident writing "it woke me up and I thought it was [going to] hit my house," the newspaper added.

Officials at the airport later told The Oklahoman that Southwest 4069, which departed from Las Vegas, had missed its approach but that there were no issues with the aircraft.

The FAA has now launched an investigation into the matter, according to Reuters.

TickerSecurityLastChangeChange %
LUVSOUTHWEST AIRLINES CO.28.06-0.37-1.30%
"Southwest is following its robust Safety Management System and is in contact with the Federal Aviation Administration to understand and address any irregularities with the aircraft’s approach to the airport. Nothing is more important to Southwest than the safety of our customers and employees," a Southwest spokesperson told The Oklahoman.
The reported incident comes after a Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft came within 400 feet of the Pacific Ocean off the coast of the Hawaiian island of Kauai in April after weather conditions forced pilots to swiftly change course.

According to a memo from Southwest to pilots, which was obtained by Bloomberg, the incident occurred following an aborted landing attempt due to bad weather that blocked pilots from seeing the runway at the specified altitude.

The memo had noted that the captain opted to put the "newer" first officer in command of the 100-mile inter-island flight, despite the pending weather.

The less-experienced first officer "inadvertently" pushed forward on the control column, which controls the plane's pitch and roll, then cut the speed, causing the airplane to rapidly descend.

The FAA is also investigating a Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 MAX plane that experienced a "Dutch roll" motion on a May 25 flight from Phoenix to Oakland, California, causing "substantial" damage to the aircraft.

Documentation on Boeing’s website describes a Dutch roll as when the nose of the plane "may go left to right as the airplane simultaneously banks side to side." The maneuver is caused by "wind or pilot input."

Stuff like this gets put on Avhesrald a few times per month. But it only makes the internet rounds if that airline is the flavor of the month in a media circle jerk which is aviation safety these days, it would seem. Remember that Piedmont pilot that invented a STAR that buzzed his home and for years the consensus was "yeah, he does that"?

Not that the WTF factor isn't always high when IFR flights dip to 500 feet out in the abyss.

With the contraction of the 24 hour news cycle and the AI bots out there scouring every open data source, we can all expect to make the news 2 or 3 times a day.

Stuff like this gets put on Avhesrald a few times per month. But it only makes the internet rounds if that airline is the flavor of the month in a media circle jerk which is aviation safety these days, it would seem. Remember that Piedmont pilot that invented a STAR that buzzed his home and for years the consensus was "yeah, he does that"?

Not that the WTF factor isn't always high when IFR flights dip to 500 feet out in the abyss.
This one is a head scratcher though.
Learning from these also in our best interest.

This one is a head scratcher though.
Learning from these also in our best interest.
Of course, that's why I keep up with incidents lol. Just saying I've noticed trends in the modern world about when these stories cross over into general mass news, not saying it isn't news worthy.

Back