Southwest and airbus.

Since 1971, Southwest Airlines has had only different variations of the Boeing 737, and nothing else.

maybe my questions should be....Have they ever flown anything other than a 737....lets say like a 757?or an airbus?

[ QUOTE ]
I believe they used to operate 727s at some point either in the 70s or 80s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, your right... I just looked it up. Sorry for the wrong information.

pp4n564pe.jpg

Yea, that 727 was only a lease though. They never where committed to the 737. I don't think it flew in SWA colors longer than a couple of years.

And I don't see any new aircraft types joining the fleet. They are taking on in the ballpark of 10-25 new 737-NGs a year until like 2010 and further.

The bigger question is where did they come up with those butt-ugly colors!?!?

I read in a book somewhere that the only other a/c they ever considered operating was the 757. I guess something about it fitting in their hangars prevented it though.

[ QUOTE ]
The beautiful colors of the Southwestern United States!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
PREACH IT!! It's an acquired taste. Some of us wouldn't mind strappin' out behinds in the pointy end of one of those "butt-ugly" 737's one day... right MTSU??
wink.gif

Ugh I was just about to say that, I hate their colours! I also dislike NWA's old colours, the brown and red. Did you know that they bought western pacific's 737 with that sweet Simpsons/Fox paint job?
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hello Wm,

What airport are you showing with your signature?

[/ QUOTE ]

Catalina

The old colors remind me of a desert sunset, but the new ones are nice too. I wonder if they'll have to paint them more often now to keep the blue looking nice.

Wm,

Dang it!...that was my guess but I couldn't make out the tower / restaurant or the large hangar to the west. The field looks even smaller & more desolate in your photo.

Thanks,

JR

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The beautiful colors of the Southwestern United States!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
PREACH IT!! It's an acquired taste. Some of us wouldn't mind strappin' out behinds in the pointy end of one of those "butt-ugly" 737's one day... right MTSU??
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You said it!!! Ohhhh....one day!!!!!

As long as I don't have to sit in the backaward-facing seats, I couldn't be happier!!!

I actually like their old colors better than this new scheme of theirs, at least being brown it was easy to spot the southwest plane from miles away.

Hey is that Disney airline or whatever still around? I remember they had smiley faces on the noses and few primarly to Disney resort locations...

Yep thats an Alaska 737-490. Still flying in the "blue" Disney colors.

Yes, I like the old SWA colors much better. That truly said... SOUTHWEST.

Does anyone know anything about another airline named Southwest in CA pre-deregulation? A local airport (OXR) that only has United Express service, says that in their history that they were served by Southwest. I figure that cant be the real SWA.

I was flying in eastern Florida, and wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it with my own eyes :)

site1003.jpg

Back