Southwest Airlines pilot arrested for bringing loaded handgun to airport

How do we know it wasn't another Fedex mishap? In todays shooter happy society?

We don't. But given how many pilots get caught with firearms, and assuming ten fly for every firearm detected, the chances are small. The chances of poor writing by today's media is much higher.

Good grief.

Even when I drive to Las Vegas with a bag full of civilian clothes, if I bring some 'hotel room ecoutrement" for cocktails, it's in a paper bag and NEVER IN MY ROLLERBOARD.

How hard is this, people?

A gun on a pilot? Someone is getting their name on the November slot of the employee of the month plaque in the TSA lounge.

What I don't get is how many guys use their flight bags as range bags. Drop one out and miss it and then go flying you're info a world of hurt, especially in mexico.

Ever notice the number of people in airports carrying obviously issued military bags in plain clothes? That’s because soldiers are cheap.

I’d love to see a total count on how many knives/multitools the TSA has confiscated because Joe used the same bag he took to the last field problem when he flew home to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving. Probably a ridiculously large pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because it's highly unlikely. He straps himself into essentially a missile when he goes to work, if he wants to do something he can do it without a gun.

Lot easier to do that when you're the only one in the cockpit. Although I agree it's probably unlikely in this case. Doesn't sound like it was concealed in his bag like he was trying to sneak it, just was in his bag.

Really!?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...sted-loaded-handgun-airport-article-1.3635247

southwest16n-4-web.jpg

A Southwest Airlines pilot was arrested Wednesday morning after he tried to sneak a loaded weapon past airport security at St. Louis Lambert International Airport.

Transportation Security Administration officers found a loaded Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm pistol in the first officer’s carry-on bag, a TSA spokesperson said.

The man, 51, was arrested for unlawful use of a weapon for carrying the handgun, which was loaded with several rounds.

TSA contacted local law enforcement, who confiscated the gun and arrested the man.

The pilot was scheduled to fly on Flight 1106 to Las Vegas.
Had he been enroute to Chicago, he'd have had some traction with me,...

Just remember, for every one of these stories that make the news, five don't.

Truth. I'm sure it happens every day in some airport or another.

My cousin actually got busted with a gun going through security. He borrowed a bag from his dad and neither dad nor my cousin realized there was a handgun in it. The TSA noticed it though. He got interviewed and they ultimately let him go without charging him and he made his flight. He was even allowed to call someone to come pick up the gun from the airport.

The only reason this is newsworthy is because he's a pilot. I wonder what determines whether they'll prosecute you or not.

Completely up to whoever the Pd and DA are and what agenda they are pushing. I’d imagine in ny dc Chicago you’d be screwed and in tx you might get a warning.

What is bs is how much TSA harasses flight crew. Saw s FA get s random and then take all her makeup for being over the 311 rule. Just because she was not in uniform. In uniform she’d been able to keep it.

Completely up to whoever the Pd and DA are and what agenda they are pushing. I’d imagine in ny dc Chicago you’d be screwed and in tx you might get a warning.

What is bs is how much TSA harasses flight crew. Saw s FA get s random and then take all her makeup for being over the 311 rule. Just because she was not in uniform. In uniform she’d been able to keep it.

I mean...those kind of are the rules.

If anyone's curious, if you're licensed to carry in Texas it's just a warning provided you exit the screening area immediately after being informed that you have it

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm:
(e-1) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(5) that the actor:

(1) possessed, at the screening checkpoint for the secured area, a concealed handgun that the actor was licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code; and

(2) exited the screening checkpoint for the secured area immediately upon completion of the required screening processes and notification that the actor possessed the handgun.

(e-2) A peace officer investigating conduct that may constitute an offense under Subsection (a)(5) and that consists only of an actor's possession of a concealed handgun that the actor is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, may not arrest the actor for the offense unless:

(1) the officer advises the actor of the defense available under Subsection (e-1) and gives the actor an opportunity to exit the screening checkpoint for the secured area; and

(2) the actor does not immediately exit the checkpoint upon completion of the required screening processes.

I mean...those kind of are the rules.

I know those are the rules and they make very little sense. Makeup and items over the 311 rule, are safe if are in uniform and get screened. Take the uniform off with the same ID and suddenly the same items are now deemed dangerous simply because you don't have a monkey suit on... What is easier to fake a pilot/fa uniform or all the other ID items that crew members have?

on another note it still cracks me up that we have to physically take the ID out of any holder and hand it to FLL TSA...

I know those are the rules and they make very little sense. Makeup and items over the 311 rule, are safe if are in uniform and get screened. Take the uniform off with the same ID and suddenly the same items are now deemed dangerous simply because you don't have a monkey suit on... What is easier to fake a pilot/fa uniform or all the other ID items that crew members have?

on another note it still cracks me up that we have to physically take the ID out of any holder and hand it to FLL TSA...

There's also a reason for that one. We are our own worst enemeies.

Back