Southwest Airlines fire on the runway in Houston

What really struck me about the video is that while most everybody was evacuating in a quick, orderly fashion, one guy stops to first send his briefcase down the slide, then he slides down and then stops and sits at the bottom of the slide to gather up his briefcase and paperwork that fell out. Another 10 people probably could have evacuated in the amount of time he spent blocking the slide so he could take his briefcase with him.

What struck me about the video was the CFR fireman without his bunker coat properly secured, as well as no helmet or NOMEX hood. Takes 30-40 secs to bunker out correctly before approaching the plane.

Foul.

No...I wouldn't say the aircraft landed long at all. That is coming from a flight attendant that has no idea what's going on. Hobby's RY 22 is 7602 feet long with no displaced threshold. The winds were out of the south at around 8 knots at the time of landing. RY 22's heading is 219 degrees. He came to a dead stop just past the intersection of RY 22 and RY 12R...(Hobby's two main runways were shut down four hours so they had to land all arrivals on RY 17 which is 6000ft or 12L which is 5149 feet.)

The aircraft had at least another 2850 feet of RY left from where he came to rest. That is plenty of room. What was unusual was that Hobby was landing RY12R at the time of the incident. Southwest Operations called and requested that the aircraft land on RY 22 instead of RY 12R....why did they do this? Probably because RY 12R has a displaced threshold of 1034 feet and they needed the extra RY length...what did they need the extra length for? I wasn't there at the time of the emergency (left a few hours before and came back to work a couple hours after)....

Anyways, earlier today when I was working Southwest Operations called up and asked if they could get RY 22 for one of their arrivals because he had a skid problem or something like that or no anti skids...whatever...I am curious if they had another aircraft that had the same problem or perhaps this could have been the same aircraft that landed here earlier in the day as well? Who knows...

Just wanted to clarify, he had plenty of room and didn't land long...I've seen Southwest Touchdown just prior, (about 500 to 1000 feet prior) to the point where that aircraft came to a stop on and still make it without problems.

Well you have to remember that they were landing in one of the biggest • cities in the world :rolleyes:

Ha! If I ever have to evacuate in White Plains, I'm going to have to go back with the crash axe to "encourage" people to leave their crap on the plane.

yeah, the thing that caught my attention was how many people wen down the chute with their carry on bags. So much for paying attention. I could see that as being a good reason why people get trampled on. If the palne is on fire I would want to get out and not be very happy about some jackass getting his carry on bag.....:banghead:

Ha! If I ever have to evacuate in White Plains, I'm going to have to go back with the crash axe to "encourage" people to leave their crap on the plane.

Ain't THAT the truth. Those people were the rudest, most self-entitled passengers I've ever seen. Them and the slackers from Islip. Long Islander business types are jackasses.

Back