South Florida ATC delays

So until this year the staffing of the FAA was solely determined by the bean counters and not by anyone who actually has any operational knowledge of the NAS. I am not sure of the specifics but NATCA has since negotiated or got legislation passed or something that is supposed to empower Human Resources to have a say in hiring numbers and payroll budget and not solely the bean counters.

Yes and in addition staffing is now going to only count CPC’s, not trainees so no fluffing the numbers. I think there is also a CWG about re-evaluating staffing numbers not only to get a better picture of what facilities have but what the number should be

What will the new domestic CODLC do to reduce the number of “bodies” needed to operate a sector? Or are you just moving “bodies” from one desk to another?

What will the new domestic CODLC do to reduce the number of “bodies” needed to operate a sector? Or are you just moving “bodies” from one desk to another?

We don’t have CPDLC at my facility, but I don’t believe it’s going to drastically change the numbers we need. It may make it so you don’t need an Assistant at the sector as often, but I can’t see just Datacom making us able to combine multiple sectors together that we aren’t able to right now. Maybe that’s the FAA’s goal but I’ve never worked Datacom so can’t really say.

it is getting hard to train new controllers because they cant afford to lose a body to be an instructor.

If you don’t allow down time to repair the machinery, the machinery will take down time at a time of its own choosing.

JAX center is a shtshow right now. Delays heading northbound are over an hour. I have an SRQ-BOS flight at the 73 min mark. It's not even summertime yet.

Got a 5 hour EDCT southbound a couple days ago. Refiled one flight plan to TLH and another at low altitude from TLH to APF to stay below center airspace. Clearance helpfully offered to get us going to TPA instead and “it’ll be no problem to sort out airborne.” Narrator, in a Ron Howard voice: “it would be quite a problem.” Seriously, dunno what the deal is but Florida has gone a couple levels down in Dante’s Inferno lately.

Probably because there’s a solid line of thunderstorms going across the north part of Florida and if y’all won’t fly through em that severely limits the amount of routes around that everyone has to fit through now. And if the mil is using the warning areas then that’s even less places to fit.

Probably because there’s a solid line of thunderstorms going across the north part of Florida and if y’all won’t fly through em that severely limits the amount of routes around that everyone has to fit through now. And if the mil is using the warning areas then that’s even less places to fit.

We just need Captain Leroy Jenkins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More pilots should strive to be like Leroy
2o6zlr.jpg

.... and many of the destination airports only have one piece of pavement suitable for most GA jets & airlines, so it doesn't matter VFR low or IFR - there's still going to be aluminum in the way at RSW, APF, BCT, PBI, OPF....

Back