South Africa travel?

At least you had a 'lodge' and 'electricity' :) We had no such thing on our safari (by design of course). It was luxury camping for us :D

I am still working on sorting pics, but will have some available soon!

LOL...I have to admit that I've been staying at some pretty nice places! But then again, the whole point of this business/personal trip is for me to sell South Africa to the American masses, therefore injecting our tourist dollars into their economy, as well as offering Americans an international bang for our weak US buck.

But we've spent a few hours without the benefit of electricity as well, including not having electricity in what I call "white" South Africa. (they have rolling brown-outs too, much like California, which is quite the controversial discussion here in SA) I actually made my last post via electrical generator, as the lodge was without electricity. (apparently they keep the generators running for critical things like communications/computers in the African bush)

But regardless of the "Best of South Africa" that I have been shown, my warm and gracious African host has sensed what kind of person I am, and has shown me the "real Africa" as well. I've been in the "townships" as well, and this trip has been somewhat of a life-changing experience. I'll elaborate more when I get home and back to normal.

22,800 miles traveled
1,321 photos taken
40 hours to get home
37 cups of instant coffee
11 monkeys
6 delayed flights
4 separate flights to get home
rentals cars
1 crazy wedding
1 yamika

one unforgettable trip.

more pics & stories to come soon :)

I'm finally home and I have a serious case of jet lag.

33,500 miles traveled
46 hours to get home
56 hours of sitting on the plane (round trip) including 3 1/12 hours of taxi time at JFK alone
297 photos taken
Many South African meals eaten, including ostrich and springbok :drool:
1 baboon with cell phone sighted :D
Many animals spotted :)
One memorable evening of Brenda jamming on African drums, as well as Brenda shaking it with some African tribal dancers :D
Lots of new friends made :)
One safari jeep that left the ground and almost went over a cliff with me on it. :eek::insane:

One unforgettable trip!!! :)

I'm finally home and I have a serious case of jet lag.

33,500 miles traveled
46 hours to get home
56 hours of sitting on the plane (round trip) including 3 1/12 hours of taxi time at JFK alone
297 photos taken
Many South African meals eaten, including ostrich and springbok :drool:
1 baboon with cell phone sighted :D
Many animals spotted :)
One memorable evening of Brenda jamming on African drums, as well as Brenda shaking it with some African tribal dancers :D
Lots of new friends made :)
One safari jeep that left the ground and almost went over a cliff with me on it. :eek::insane:

One unforgettable trip!!! :)

Can't wait to see the pics!

Kevin

Can't wait to see the pics!

Kevin

I'll try to get them uploaded from my camera tomorrow Kev. I'm too beat right now....and yes there are pics of me jamming with the Africans. :D At one point, one of the African drummers put his headdress on me and everyone laughed because it was the same color as my hair and it looked like I had a huge 'fro...ahhh music, the universal language that unites all people! :)

Kev, I thought of you and your culinary curiousity, as I sampled many unusual animal dishes - you would have been so proud of me!:)

Hey Sky

wow - sounds cool - glady you enjoyed good ol' SA !

also never ever thought I would see any Xhosa words on this forum !

aero

Hey Sky

wow - sounds cool - glady you enjoyed good ol' SA !

Oh I did! We need to talk! :)

also never ever thought I would see any Xhosa words on this forum !

:) You should have seen me trying to get the "clicks" down in the Xhosa language! Londi, my Xhosa safari guide had some great laughs at my expense!

Let me see if I can attach a couple of pics for ya - hope they don't make you homesick for Cape Town!

Hello Sky

sure - be interesting to hear what all you did - PM me and I'll get in touch (would love to see photos). Damn I miss Cape Town - its such an amazing place, the things I have experienced in that city, as well as the rest of the country, are unbeliveable.

ahhh yes the clicks - and the Afrikaans hard "g" can be "intersting" to say the least. When done by someone who has spoken the language all their lives it sounds so normal but when you try it, well its another story

speak to you later

aero

Finally got around to getting a few shots resized, will have our big photo album done online by tomorrow morning for anyone interested :)

sa1.jpg

sa2.jpg

sa3.jpg

sa4.jpg

sa5.jpg

Hello Sky

sure - be interesting to hear what all you did - PM me and I'll get in touch (would love to see photos). Damn I miss Cape Town - its such an amazing place, the things I have experienced in that city, as well as the rest of the country, are unbeliveable.

ahhh yes the clicks - and the Afrikaans hard "g" can be "intersting" to say the least. When done by someone who has spoken the language all their lives it sounds so normal but when you try it, well its another story

speak to you later

aero

Hi ya Aero! - PM sent! We'll have a good chat! :) Was just reading some emails from South Africa and looking at pics of us having dinner at the Africa Cafe - wow, what an incredible dinner! My mouth is watering just thinking about that restaurant in Cape Town....Mmmm...Mmmm!

Finally got around to getting a few shots resized, will have our big photo album done online by tomorrow morning for anyone interested :)

sa1.jpg

sa2.jpg

sa3.jpg

sa4.jpg

sa5.jpg

Those are awesome photos Nick! Can't wait to see the rest! I'm still catching up on email and work stuff, but hope to get to mine soon. Please PM the link to your album if you don't post it publically - you know I want to see them!! - would love to chat with you and your wife as well, about our time in South Africa. :)

Back