Someone should prolly talk to the guy

I was gonna make a joke about a Caravan being so slow the storm probably hadn’t even started building when he was there.

But yeah that altitude/speed track looks pretty not fun.

Looking at the quick turn leg, maybe he learned something...

EDB418C3-1BCD-4AD8-B322-BF8F4F268D20.jpeg

The portion of that storm that came through Grand Rapids last night was intense, and it was stronger south where he flew. Poor ADM in evidence there.

That reminds me, last week coming back from Jackson Hole, we went past some storms, and a couple of them were topping out at or near our altitude (FL450). That in itself wasn’t unusual, but a while after we landed my co-pilot got a screenshot showing tops at 70,000’! I don’t remember seeing tops that high before...anyone here seen that?

A0005D84-E42B-4722-BEE3-062BACAC763D.jpeg8BC231D0-9947-4772-B16C-9C82AD941265.jpeg

That reminds me, last week coming back from Jackson Hole, we went past some storms, and a couple of them were topping out at or near our altitude (FL450). That in itself wasn’t unusual, but a while after we landed my co-pilot got a screenshot showing tops at 70,000’! I don’t remember seeing tops that high before...anyone here seen that?

View attachment 54168View attachment 54169
I have, but I always assumed it was a glitch in the processing of the radar data....I didn’t think they could get that high at those latitudes

View attachment 54168View attachment 54169
I have, but I always assumed it was a glitch in the processing of the radar data....I didn’t think they could get that high at those latitudes
Yeah, once they go past some threshold (470? 490? Dont remember) they just show 70k to indicate unmountable

I guess I'll take Devil's Advocate.

The summary's RADAR data is not always accurate for location and intensity.

I've flown through large gaps, VFR the whole and Flight aware shows me flying through extreme precip, hail, and tornadoes.

when i flew night freight, I wasn't payed enough to go through crap like that.....I did fly below some things similar to that aaaannnddd never again.

It was the only flying job where I asked a dozen times "point me in the direction of the least shaded red please"

when i flew night freight, I wasn't payed enough to go through crap like that.....I did fly below some things similar to that aaaannnddd never again.

It was the only flying job where I asked a dozen times "point me in the direction of the least shaded red please"
You had to fly low enough to get some sweet 2G to load the NEXRAD for where you were. Onboard radar!

I guess I'll take Devil's Advocate.

The summary's RADAR data is not always accurate for location and intensity.

I've flown through large gaps, VFR the whole and Flight aware shows me flying through extreme precip, hail, and tornadoes.
The flight did pirep extreme turbulence and the speed/altitude graph looks like fun too

You had to fly low enough to get some sweet 2G to load the NEXRAD for where you were. Onboard radar!
haha! flightaware was in its infancy when i flew freight....but my radar on board was not reliable....

Did you feel pressured to fly by the company under those conditions? Real or perceived pressure? Or self induced pressure perhaps? I’m curious and ask for myself since I’m interested in doing a possible stint in part 135 freight before I do 121.

haha! flightaware was in its infancy when i flew freight....but my radar on board was not reliable....
The actual radar onboard was a old green screen and it would only paint the ground. Anything else... pointing straight at a 50,000 foot airmass and it shows nothing.
Couldn't write it up because they'd just remove it or placard it inop.

The actual radar onboard was a old green screen and it would only paint the ground. Anything else... pointing straight at a 50,000 foot airmass and it shows nothing.
Couldn't write it up because they'd just remove it or placard it inop.

Yeah, then you can't use it as poor man's TAWS

Did you feel pressured to fly by the company under those conditions? Real or perceived pressure? Or self induced pressure perhaps? I’m curious and ask for myself since I’m interested in doing a possible stint in part 135 freight before I do 121.
No, never pressured to fly in convective weather. They had no problem with you going around or landing and having the weather pass

If the weather was legal then you needed a damn good reason why you’re not going. (in terms of minimums)

But you will fly through weather...at night...single pilot....with/without radar or AP and it’s certainly not for everyone.

Back