Some Questions About Flight Attendants

Pilot121

Hello,

I am interested in becoming a flight attendant, but have some questions.
1.) When your vision gets tested at the medical exam, is the requirement for acuity simply both eyes at the same time or is each eye tested separately? I'm wondering because one of my eyes is a perfect 20/20, but I have amblyopia in one eye, which means it can't even be corrected to a decent acuity. But I have 20/20 vision when I use both eyes together!

2.) Do flight attendants have to start at regional airlines, like pilots do? I am very tall, and exceed the maximum height requirement at most, if not every, regional airline. But I have no problem standing up straight in a mainline aircraft.

Thanks,
Pilot121

Well, I'm not an expert, but I'll try to answer...

1) It probably varies greatly from airline to airline, but I would guess that if you can see well enough to hold a driver's license, you should have no problem.

2) No, you can get hired at any airline you wish to apply to that has openings. What seems to matter more is prior customer service experience.

There is no formal requirement for becoming a Flight Attendant. Some regionals have a height limit based on the A/C they operate but that's a non issue for most unless you're a little over 6ft. I've been a FA for 8+ years before becoming a DXer. FA interviews are all HR type questions.... 3 words to describe yourself.... name a time you went above and beyond to help someone.... last time you had a disagreement with a coworker... why do you want to become a FA.... why us?....

Past experience doesn't always have to be customer service... alot if new hires at my last gig are retired Police Officers and Fire Fighters... Pay packages are getting better also. Delta is top dog, jetblue is getting there.

Just a friendly heads up, jetblue will accepting flight attendant applications on April 15th.

There is no formal requirement for becoming a Flight Attendant. Some regionals have a height limit based on the A/C they operate but that's a non issue for most unless you're a little over 6ft. I've been a FA for 8+ years before becoming a DXer. FA interviews are all HR type questions.... 3 words to describe yourself.... name a time you went above and beyond to help someone.... last time you had a disagreement with a coworker... why do you want to become a FA.... why us?....

Past experience doesn't always have to be customer service... alot if new hires at my last gig are retired Police Officers and Fire Fighters... Pay packages are getting better also. Delta is top dog, jetblue is getting there.

Just a friendly heads up, jetblue will accepting flight attendant applications on April 15th.
Thank you for the reply!
Do you mean that there is no formal requirement for vision either?
That's cool that you're now a dispatcher -- I am also very interested in that career!

Back