Some Advice? for a veryyyy confused individual

i really appreciate all your responses, you all have gone out of your way to offer some advice, and i believe that yea..i am going to give it a shot..i rather spend life at 36000 ft, rather then sitting in a office 9-5, typing away.

just a small question...if anyone can answer this?

ive read on these forums that india plans to do away with all of their expats by 2010, i am canadian born..but my parents are indian..if i apply for dual citizenship...am i technically an expat, because im canadian born...or what..just been trying to figure out what exactly an ex pat is...and whether i fit the mold..

hopefully after i get dual citizenship i will not be considered an expat...since that will significantly hinder my chances..

but another question...all the airlines I've looked at require type ratings....how the heck am i suppose to get that...first a ppl...then a cpl...den a damn type rating...jus to even get consideration..

this went from being just a climb up an hill...to climbing mount everest...

can it be done?!

hopefully after i get dual citizenship i will not be considered an expat...since that will significantly hinder my chances..

but another question...all the airlines I've looked at require type ratings....how the heck am i suppose to get that...first a ppl...then a cpl...den a damn type rating...jus to even get consideration..

this went from being just a climb up an hill...to climbing mount everest...

can it be done?!
OK, it's time for you to do a search on here to see how it has been done. This is exactly what we were talking about before, when you said that being a turboprop driver is below your status. You have a lot to learn and it's all here on this website.

It won't always be what you want to hear, but it will be what you need to hear if you decide you would like to start down the path to become a professional aviator.

My story in a nutshell:

I decided on September 11, 2003 that I wanted to change careers and become an airline pilot. By great fortune, I found this website in the middle of the night as I was doing internet research about how to accomplish this daunting task. I immediately joined and began reading all of the archived information. (All of that information is still here.) I began flight lessons in October and pushed hard, studied and got on with a regional airline 2 1/2 years later. We don't have 777's but I'm very fortunate to have had the opportunity to become a captain on a small (but badass) turboprop.

You can do whatever you believe you can do. You said you aim high. Mt. Everest isn't that high, we're talking stratosphere here.

Read the archives, everything you need to know for at least the next 96 hours is there. Then once you have a better idea, feel free to pm me with any questions. I will even give you my number after you've shown me you're serious, and not just kind of thinking that you want to go get hired tomorrow to be responsible to handle a multimillion dollar airplane with hundreds of lives cause it would be kind of cool.

Good luck and I hope you follow up.
Sincerely, Dale

PS
I would also like to see if you can write a post using correct english grammer and punctuation. These are skills you will need in the world.

Firstly, I apologize about my poor grammar and punctuation. Usually on forums I tend not to look over my post's, but that's a bad habit and I'll try my best to fix that. Secondly I do appreciate your help and I will be contacting you as I begin that long journey to becoming a Commercial Airline Pilot. But I cannot tell you about how much I regret the "turboprop" quote, I don't want to come across as a stuck up little kid, because I really am not. Lastly, I'm 100% serious, I promise you guys, I'm not wasting any of your time...

Firstly, I apologize about my poor grammar and punctuation. Usually on forums I tend not to look over my post's, but that's a bad habit and I'll try my best to fix that. Secondly I do appreciate your help and I will be contacting you as I begin that long journey to becoming a Commercial Airline Pilot. But I cannot tell you about how much I regret the "turboprop" quote, I don't want to come across as a stuck up little kid, because I really am not. Lastly, I'm 100% serious, I promise you guys, I'm not wasting any of your time...
eggggcellent!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Hey man, please don't worry about the t-prop quote. It really helped to see where you are in your development, we have ALL made similar statements, it takes a truly mature individual to learn from them:)

. . .and I see you can speak well (as well:laff:)

PS
I would also like to see if you can write a post using correct english grammer and punctuation. These are skills you will need in the world.

Not to be a spelling nazi, but I always find it funny when people tell others on a message board to use correct spelling, punctuation, or grammar

Just giving you a hard time :D

what are the odds ill end up in a boeing 777...or maybe even a 787, whenever that is in the air..or any widebody...i hope its not like a lottery...thats only a lucky few win the honor...

There's your first problem right there. The honor? It's not an award, it's a job. It's a means of supporting yourself. You start looking at it like it's some great privilege which is bestowed upon certain worthy individuals, and you will make decisions that you shouldn't be making in this, or any other career.

As far as flight training goes, if you have the means, you can be a licensed commercial pilot in less than a year, if you dedicate yourself to it. But that is just getting the licenses. After that, all of your career success depends on luck, and by luck I mean "where preparation meets opportunity."

This is very important. I know many pilots who have spent their entire careers working at third-rate, marginal operators because they were not prepared when opportunity came along, or because opportunity never presented itself. Others were just always on the wrong side of the hiring curve. They missed one hiring boom, and by the time the next one came along, they were too entrenched where they were. When you're making 80K with a good quality of life working a regional, it can be hard to give that up to go sit reserve at the bottom of seniority list, even if it is at "a major."

Some will say that timing is everything. I suppose that is technically true, but it's not like you have any control over the timing of things. All you can do is be prepared to take advantage of an opportunity if/when it comes.

Another thing to think about. You've taken one flight and found it to be cool. So did I when I first started flying. But flying for fun and flying professionally are two different things. Flying for fun means YOU get to decide where, when and how you fly. When you fly professsionally, all that changes. You fly when where and how your employer tells you to. You rarely get to say no, and when you do you need to have a darn good reason. This means that for the majority of your career, will WILL be working early mornings, late nights, graveyards, weekends, holidays, long days, and minimal rest. You may think that will be fine, but consider 10 or 15 years from now when you have family. Still sound like a good idea? Also, flying is lifestyle that is hard on the body. The average age of death of an airline pilot is 69, at least it was a few years ago.

Have I scared you off? If not, you passed the first test. You have to be crazy to want to be an airline pilot.

Back