Soloed my first student today...

UIPilot45X

Yea, so I soloed my first student today. Most nerve wrecking experience of my life. But she did fine, and I was pretty proud/happy, so I figured I deserve to brag at least once a year.

This is one of those famous moments.

Did you monitor by radio? Maintain a visual? Check your heart rate and blood pressure?

Yea, I had a hand held radio that I borrowed from another instructor to monitor her progress. I really couldnt go stand next to the runway to watch her, considering we're at Champaign and its a fairly large class C airport. I dont the TSA would have liked that very much. Oh, and I think my heart rate went up a bit. But all in all it was a very good expereience, I didnt think I would feel so happy/proud when i saw my student walk back into the building safe and smiling.

Well now you know that Whiskey is not just for W in the alphabet; it's what we drink when they are out there soloing! Congrats! Champaign, IL? I got my private license in Decatur, Illinois and landed at Williard a couple times.

[ QUOTE ]
Well now you know that Whiskey is not just for W in the alphabet; it's what we drink when they are out there soloing!

[/ QUOTE ]

True 'dat!!!
laugh.gif

Yea, it's willard airport in champaign. I wish I would have remembered to bring the whiskey. I guess i'll just have to make sure I bring it out when my student goes on her solo cross countries
cool.gif

congrats, yah theres nothing like it. You start to think a little bit down the line more and more about what you've accomplished. Its hard to beleive I took a person who knew nothing about aviation and made them a pilot! WOW.
Good Job!

I was nervous the first time, but a more experienced instructor told me to remember that the big runway (appx. 7500 x 150) is a huge 102 (PPL) safety net. Imagine it sucking up the 102's as they land and safely falling into its grasp.

[ QUOTE ]
102's?? Must be a UND thing..lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I believe it is the Course Number for the PPL class or something like that.

Back