Solo

Tim06

Just a few months away from my solo flight...June 13th to be exact
smile.gif
Any tips or pointers? I've got about 75 hours as of now.

Tim

It's nothing but a thing. Sure it might feel a little intimidating at first, but just wait until you feel the feeling of lifting off with no one but you at the controls! To this day, I can still remember my first solo in a 172 at Chandler, AZ airport (back when it was one runway and no tower). The feeling as I went around the pattern for my 3 full-stops was exilerating. I wasn't even told I was soloing, the IP just had me taxi to the ramp, then deplaned and kicked me out of the nest, so to speak. Funny thing, I remember that first solo in a 172 like it was yesterday, but can't remember my initial solo in T-37s at Air Force pilot training.

Have fun, relax, and it'll be a time to remember. Good job getting where you're at.
cool.gif

Hard to say just what you are asking for.

With 75 hrs you should know if you want to continue for your PVT if so, Tests and practice the manuvers.

Keep plugging .

[ QUOTE ]
75 hours ?!?!? Holy smokes! I remembered I soloed at 13 hours, and even then, I thought I should have soloed sooner

[/ QUOTE ]

he's only 15 i think.

yes...for anyone that doesnt know our good JC buddy Tim...he is only 15 and has been taking lessons since he was 13...he has gotten bored with his private manuevers andhas begun instrument training and he has 6 hours dual recieved in a seneca too...

and Tim , don't worry about it man...you be more ready than anyone ever would be for there solo....just wait for that dreaded sixteenth year where you have to wait til your eligible for your ppl..

i was jokin around the other night with him....by the time he is old enough for his ppl he will have met 135 min's...
cool.gif

-seth

[ QUOTE ]
I was then, still am 19.

Sorry, had no way of knowing your age...

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem man
smile.gif

I didn't get nervous untill just after my wheels lifted up and I realized I had to land the thing by myself or I would die! By the time I got through the pattern and was on short and final I felf comfortable though.

With 75 hours you should not have anything to worry about. Your instructor probably just kicks back and takes a nap while you're flying anyway, so its kinda like you've been soloing for a while now right.
laugh.gif

Just keep in mind without the weight of the second person there, the left turning tendencies are much more pronounced and will pull voilently to the left if you don't counter with a ton of right rudder/aileron.
wink.gif

Just Kidding! PLEASE Don't take me seriously on that last little bit. It'll be just like any other takeoff.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't get nervous untill just after my wheels lifted up and I realized I had to land the thing by myself or I would die! By the time I got through the pattern and was on short and final I felf comfortable though.

With 75 hours you should not have anything to worry about. Your instructor probably just kicks back and takes a nap while you're flying anyway, so its kinda like you've been soloing for a while now right.
laugh.gif

Just keep in mind without the weight of the second person there, the left turning tendencies are much more pronounced and will pull voilently to the left if you don't counter with a ton of right rudder/aileron.
wink.gif

Just Kidding! PLEASE Don't take me seriously on that last little bit. It'll be just like any other takeoff.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....my instructor always says, "I sleep you fly"!!!
cool.gif

Relax, and enjoy the ride. You've earned it.

Have a great time and savor the feeling!

It was definately a great day for me. My wife took me out to dinner to celebrate.

<--In my avatar is me just minutes after my first solo.

However, my favorite flight was my first solo into the practice area. I was floored that I actually flew the airplane by myself away from the airport, flew around at my leisure, and found my way back again. For me that was even better than my first solo. I really felt like I was a pilot at that point.

Ah the memories.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't get nervous untill just after my wheels lifted up and I realized I had to land the thing by myself or I would die!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of a blunt way of putting things.

The coolest thing for me was not having my 6' 7" 240 pound instructor next to me.

Man, that plane wanted to get in the air from the word go. My instructor stood by the VASI's while I was up. Thats got to be a cool feeling for him too. Cant wait till I'm an instructor and solo my first student.

Regards

Tom

[ QUOTE ]
Cant wait till I'm an instructor and solo my first student.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I was told by the guy who soloed me, they're thinking two things.

The positive one is, "sweet, dude! This guy is on his way."

The negative one is "oh, God, please don't let this guy [screw] up."

It was a strange moment for me. When my instructor asked if I was ready to go around the pattern by myself, I said "Yes" and I felt no emotion either way. I had just done about 8 landings and had nailed them all. I took off and it suddenly hit me when I turned crosswind that I was by myself. I wasn't used to him not being there and when I turned downwind, I climbed too high and almost busted Dulles Class B. The other two trips arounf the pattern were fine except I could have used a little more right runnder on the last landing.

I was a lot more nervous about my first solo X-country, probably because it was quite windy that day.

You will do fine!

Mahesh

Appropriate thread as my first solo is today at 1:30! Thanks for the all the advice (even though it wasn't necessarily directed to me)!

cool.gif

They kinda ruined my first solo for me. I didn't get the surprise and excitement of the instructor suddenly jumping out and givin' ya the thumbs up. In fact, I knew the day and time I was going to solo like 2 weeks prior. :-\

At any rate, it was still a great experience. I remember contacting ground for the first time with a shake and uncertainty in my voice. After one turn around the pattern though, you could have mistaken me for a Southwest captain.
wink.gif
You gain a lot of confidence in your own skills from your first solo, and you'll remember it forever. Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
Appropriate thread as my first solo is today at 1:30! Thanks for the all the advice (even though it wasn't necessarily directed to me)!

[/ QUOTE ]

That goes for you too. Enjoy.
smile.gif

Back