Social networking job hunting

WLFPAK

A coworker suggested I join a social network
for job hunting. If I join Linkedin or something
similar will that possible help me get a job.
How helpful is this social site to landing a job
or other unpublished positions.

I wouldn't say it directly helps you land a job. It all depends on your networking skills. Joining one of those sites is (in my opinion) no different from joining the forum here and networking with someone who works or knows someone where you'd like to work. Simply put, if you just have a linkedin profile but not utilizing the networking opportunity then it's probably not worth it.

Linkedin really isn't all that great. What will help you more than anything is organizations (like the ADF or PAFCA) and conferences/symposiums like the FAA InfoShare coming up in March in SEA.

A coworker suggested I join a social network
for job hunting. If I join Linkedin or something
similar will that possible help me get a job.
How helpful is this social site to landing a job
or other unpublished positions.

That's just garden variety advice you will get from everyone and any job hunting article. I used Linkedin for a while and did not find it to be useful, the other comments here are better advice. As far as I can tell, linked in is just FB without all the pics, it's essentially a place for people to boost their professional ego. You know...500+ connections, blah blah.

That's just garden variety advice you will get from everyone and any job hunting article. I used Linkedin for a while and did not find it to be useful, the other comments here are better advice. As far as I can tell, linked in is just FB without all the pics, it's essentially a place for people to boost their professional ego. You know...500+ connections, blah blah.

I agree, you'll probably get more job leads out of this forum than you ever would from LinkedIn. At least as far as aircraft dispatcher jobs - LinkedIn is fond of sending me leads for engineering jobs, test pilot jobs, and various other positions I am not qualified for and not interested in. The ADF is a great place to make contacts also, especially at their symposiums.

I agree, you'll probably get more job leads out of this forum than you ever would from LinkedIn. At least as far as aircraft dispatcher jobs - LinkedIn is fond of sending me leads for engineering jobs, test pilot jobs, and various other positions I am not qualified for and not interested in. The ADF is a great place to make contacts also, especially at their symposiums.

LinkedIn, ADF, Indeed, FB, or whatever else is out there is basically a tool. I scored my first dispatch job via LinkedIn. So with that said I'd say that if you don't know how to use or utilize such networking tools then you would never find it useful.

Which will be in Chicago next year, btw...

LinkedIn, ADF, Indeed, FB, or whatever else is out there is basically a tool. I scored my first dispatch job via LinkedIn. So with that said I'd say that if you don't know how to use or utilize such networking tools then you would never find it useful.

If I were looking for a job, of course, I'd use LinkedIn as well as any other resources (online or offline) that I had at my disposal. LinkedIn itself will not get you the job leads, but the people you meet through it (and Facebook, and Twitter, and in real life) might. In this day and age, the best place to find out about new job openings is at the company website itself - and as you always have to apply on a company's website to be formally considered - if I were looking to get on with a major, I would have all the major airlines career sections bookmarked and be checking them regularly. That will probably get you an interview a lot sooner than just being active on social media sites ever will.

Back