Socal and a phone questions

Skeeter

Socal,
So how is it going? 1 week and counting, right? What is the vibe for how long you will be down in JAX? Are the ladies nice? How are the beaches? Or, do you get a chance to see all that? How many hours are you working in there? How many others are there with you? For how long? Thanks for your help. Make sure you wear the shades...
cool.gif

Things are good here in JAX. It's great to finally meet the people that I spent so much time on the phone with. I will say, I am even more impressed with ATP now that I see how much they are running on a daily basis. I really only knew about the career pilot program. But, after a week and a half here, I realize that ATP's other programs (ATP, MEI/II, Multi-Comm., etc.) are even an even larger part of their buisiness.

As far as JAX itself, it is quite nice. The apartments are in a great complex -- tennis and basketball courts, three pools, 24 hour workout room, computer center. The downside is living with 5 other guys in a 4 bedroom. After being out of college for 14 years, its quite an adjustment.

The offices are a nice -- as are the people. We work 5 days per week in three shifts -- 8-5, 10-7, 12-9. Once every three or four weeks, we have to work a Saturday shift. The job involves basic office work, as well as answering the phones and signing people up for flight training. The one interesting aspect is the posturing and jockeying amongst the MEI's waiting to be placed. There is constant guessing game as to who is going where and when. When two people want the same location, it creates an interesting dynamic -- alliances and secret talk. Kind of like "Survivor" in the officeplace.

Couldn't tell you much about the ladies -- I'm happy to say that I am marrying the greatest woman in the world on June 29.

No word yet when I'll be heading back out west (Riverside or Long Beach). There are two on the list in front of me waiting for the west coast, but I hear that ATP gives priority to people that have a family -- I have a daughter who is 7. I would feel bad for them since they have been here a number of weeks, but I would jump at the chance to get back to my family in L.A.

We have back-seat priviliges whenever we get time to head to the airport. I got to backseat a navy pilot ATP prep last weekend -- those navy boys love to whip the plane around! ATP has also instituted a new policy which allows the MEI's in the pool to get three takeoffs and landings and one GPS approach every ten days. I should be getting out to fly next week.

If you have any other questions, I can be reached at the 800 number.

Travis

Thanks for the post.. I'm going to ask a couple more questions here on the board so other interested can view the responses, but I plan on calling you in the near future.

How long is the average wait right now, if you are aware?
How many other MEI's are there in the office with you?
Did you drive down there (bring a car) and/or a bike (people powered kind)?
Pack for a month or a year?
I was talking to an ATP CFI here in Sac and he said that if you are willing to go anywhere you can get out of there relatively quickly and then move to your "choice" spot once it opens up. At least your flying, then. Is this still accurate?

Anyway, thanks again and congrats on the upcoming marriage.

How long is the average wait right now, if you are aware?

No idea. One guy left last week for ATL after a six week stay. Two people have been here ten weeks. But the rumor is that things are about to start moving fast. It also depends on where you want to go.

How many other MEI's are there in the office with you?

There are currently eight including me.

Did you drive down there (bring a car) and/or a bike (people powered kind)?

I drove from Los Angeles. There are a couple of people here with no cars. It's doable, but you have to bum a lot of rides. The offices are twenty minutes (half of that on a freeway) from the apartments. I do long distance bike riding, but not to and from work.

Pack for a month or a year?

I packed very lightly. All you'll need during the week is your work clothes -- dress pants, collared shirts or ATP shirt. The weekend is all about shorts and t-shirts.

I was talking to an ATP CFI here in Sac and he said that if you are willing to go anywhere you can get out of there relatively quickly and then move to your "choice" spot once it opens up. At least your flying, then. Is this still accurate?

You probably would get out quicker -- that is unless your first choice has an opening right away. It's sort of luck of the draw. I've heard both things about going somewhere and then moving where you really want to be -- some say do it, others that you'll get stuck there. With my family, its not really an option -- it So Cal or nothing.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The downside is living with 5 other guys in a 4 bedroom. After being out of college for 14 years, its quite an adjustment.

<hr></blockquote>14 years?! I got the apparently mistaken impression that you were a younger guy, Travis. Sounds like you're in your mid-30s, as are I. :) How many "older" dudes go through the career pilot program? What are the ages of your fellow poolies? Do you think your age played any sort of factor in your getting hired by ATP?

Yep, I'm 33 years old. The pace at ATP was one of the reasons I signed up for the Career Pilot Program. Now that I'm finished and a new hire MEI, I couldn't be happier with my entire ATP experience. I also know that coming to ATP is going to take months if not years off my path to the airlines.

As far as helping me to get hired, I know that ATP requires that their instructors are mature and intelligent. Each instructor is given the responsiblity of not only being a flight instructor, but also running an office.

Back