So I've been in college for 3 weeks.

TangoSix

Started in the beginning of septemer in the professional aviation program at louisiana tech. were on the quarter system, so we started late.

i must say, i like it.

i got my private under 61 in my hometown, so i got to skip all of the private 101 classes. and im transferring to 141 instrument. however, if i could go back in time, i would have never stepped foot in an airplane until i came here.

the movement from 61 to 141 i have to say was the best one ive made thus far.although i had my private coming i really didnt know jack, compared to what the 141 private students will know. im learning new things every day from systems, navigation, even to some of the business aspects of flying, things that i thought i knew, but are much, much deeper than what i had in mind. im really enjoying it.

first stage check in two weeks. pretty pumped.

the movement from 61 to 141 i have to say was the best one ive made thus far.although i had my private coming i really didnt know jack, compared to what the 141 private students will know. im learning new things every day from systems, navigation, even to some of the business aspects of flying, things that i thought i knew, but are much, much deeper than what i had in mind.

Awesome!

I'd like to point out though, the changes you're seeing probably aren't from the 61 to 141 switch as much as they are the difference in cultures between a smaller FBO type of operation and a larger collegiate atmosphere. FBOs tend to work better for the general population (flying for fun, for personal business, for traveling with family...) while collegiate programs tend to prep a person better for all the details needed with a career in aviation.

Good luck in the future.

Glad you're having a good time with it. I must say that I'm a 61 loyalist, and a little shocked at your statement that the 141 private pilots know more than the 61 students. It must be a very strong program they have there, but it's all how you apply yourself IMHO. I've done training under 61 and 141, and found just the opposite of you. But again, I'm a part 61 loyalist now, and a total commitmentphobe (which explains my aversion to 141 :D). Keep us posted on your progress, and enjoy the IR, its a fun one

Glad you're having a good time with it. I must say that I'm a 61 loyalist, and a little shocked at your statement that the 141 private pilots know more than the 61 students. It must be a very strong program they have there, but it's all how you apply yourself IMHO. I've done training under 61 and 141, and found just the opposite of you. But again, I'm a part 61 loyalist now, and a total commitmentphobe (which explains my aversion to 141 :D). Keep us posted on your progress, and enjoy the IR, its a fun one
right. i guess what i meant was my personal experience, and the way i was taught. the program here is made to train airline pilots, and everything is conducted in orderly fashion. we have specific dress codes on days we fly, we have an online schedule of when we fly with our instructors, theres a training course outline that is followed specifically. the whole atmosphere prepares you to operate in a fast paced, time scheduled environment, and i absolutely love it. i never was exposed to this type of training in my 61 school (once again, my personal experience, not a blanket statement). its very exciting.

i think what it comes down to is the instructor and the student. If I taught part 61 there are things I would probably do different for a student who wants to fly his Aeronca Champ on the weekends vs someone who wants to make it a career.

Tis the students duty to inform he instuctor of his intentions (also the instructors duty to discover those intentions) and the instructors duty to tailor the training to match up with students needs.

i got my private under 61 in my hometown, so i got to skip all of the private 101 classes. and im transferring to 141 instrument. however, if i could go back in time, i would have never stepped foot in an airplane until i came here.

I am actually kind of shocked they threw you right into instrument. At Daniel Webster they made private pilots that came in go through a transition course to help mold them to "the Daniel Webster" way. Guess that was their way of getting more money out of people, though I still think it is helpful to have at least a short transition. Many peoples private training doesn't come close to college 141 programs.

Many peoples private training doesn't come close to college 141 programs.
I would agree with that as far as imersion is concerned. But I will add also that I don't think part 61 training makes inferior pilots to 141.

i think what it comes down to is the instructor and the student. If I taught part 61 there are things I would probably do different for a student who wants to fly his Aeronca Champ on the weekends vs someone who wants to make it a career.

Tis the students duty to inform he instuctor of his intentions (also the instructors duty to discover those intentions) and the instructors duty to tailor the training to match up with students needs.

Completely agree. And every situation is different...I flew a decathlon under 141, and a 414 under 61...just saying. Personally, I have had a more well-rounded experience while under 61. That's not to say that under 141 you are spoon-fed, but a variety of experiences I had while taking my time through 61, would have never been had under 141. 141 served me very well though also...for me it's the commitment issue with a 141 program...I can't commit (ask any man in my life) and I didn't like breaking up with a school when scheduling became an issue, but it had to be done, and was a total pain. So, it kind of soured me on 141, but I think any type of flying can be accomplished under either set of rules, it's just whatever works for you.

Yeah mileage always varies. I do fully agree with the commitment part of 141 training. 10s of thousands of dollars up front for something someone has little to no experience in is a bad idea. Hell i felt nervous and uncomfortable droping 1200 down for truck driving school.

right. i guess what i meant was my personal experience, and the way i was taught. the program here is made to train airline pilots, and everything is conducted in orderly fashion. we have specific dress codes on days we fly, we have an online schedule of when we fly with our instructors, theres a training course outline that is followed specifically. the whole atmosphere prepares you to operate in a fast paced, time scheduled environment, and i absolutely love it. i never was exposed to this type of training in my 61 school (once again, my personal experience, not a blanket statement). its very exciting.

Good deal finding the right school for you with the right fit. Its excellent that you are sharing your first impressions regarding the switch from 61 to 141. As you have already seen, pilots that make that switch either loved it or were somewhat unsatisfied.

I have made that switch also and was not prepared for such a rigid and structured schedule. What worked the best for me and what I enjoyed the most was the more relaxed and tailored training I encountered at the FBO. Both environments trained differently, but I feel both were effective in the means and outcomes. Mileage may very though.

I would agree with that as far as imersion is concerned. But I will add also that I don't think part 61 training makes inferior pilots to 141.

IMO that depends on the 141 environment and the 61 environment. The 61 environment I was in didn't come anywhere close to the 141 I came from, and the pilots suffered because of it.

I paid alot to go to a 141 school, but I definitely learned alot more than at my 61 school where I did my private.....I had alot of catching up to do when I first started.

IMO that depends on the 141 environment and the 61 environment. The 61 environment I was in didn't come anywhere close to the 141 I came from, and the pilots suffered because of it.
Yeah, as always results may vary...but I would make the generalization.

I only had one gripe with the 141 school. Spring semester was a bear to get flight time without weather or dispatch interfering. If it was Sunny, Dispatch would call a forcasted cloud over Nebraska, if it was 1000 and 3 with storms they would send you on a long X-Country. The expectation was to flying weekends and off class times to make your hours (post PPL training). I was pulling 24 credit hours and trying to balance work, life, school.

When it came to the end of the semester, the 20 year old that was my instructor told me he wasn't going to give me an incomplete so I could finish the next semester. His suggestion was to take less hours and asked why wasn't my parents paying for school so I didn't need to work (mind you I was 27, just out of the Navy and had a Child Support payment to make) he didn't get it. His expectation was I retake the class next semester (along with the fee of $6000 + No GI bill since it was a retake). Told him where he could shove his idea and cleared it with the Dean.

Other than that I thought the training was good......

I did the same route you're taking; I enjoyed it. 61 has its perks but on the other hand, so does 141. Enjoy your training :)

Started in the beginning of septemer in the professional aviation program at louisiana tech. were on the quarter system, so we started late.

i must say, i like it.

the movement from 61 to 141 i have to say was the best one ive made thus far.although i had my private coming i really didnt know jack, compared to what the 141 private students will know. im learning new things every day from systems, navigation, even to some of the business aspects of flying, things that i thought i knew, but are much, much deeper than what i had in mind. im really enjoying it.

first stage check in two weeks. pretty pumped.

good luck on your stage. College will be the quickest four years of your life.

I only had one gripe with the 141 school. Spring semester was a bear to get flight time without weather or dispatch interfering. If it was Sunny, Dispatch would call a forcasted cloud over Nebraska, if it was 1000 and 3 with storms they would send you on a long X-Country. The expectation was to flying weekends and off class times to make your hours (post PPL training). I was pulling 24 credit hours and trying to balance work, life, school.

When it came to the end of the semester, the 20 year old that was my instructor told me he wasn't going to give me an incomplete so I could finish the next semester. His suggestion was to take less hours and asked why wasn't my parents paying for school so I didn't need to work (mind you I was 27, just out of the Navy and had a Child Support payment to make) he didn't get it. His expectation was I retake the class next semester (along with the fee of $6000 + No GI bill since it was a retake). Told him where he could shove his idea and cleared it with the Dean.

Other than that I thought the training was good......

I think the training (here at SIU, part 141) is good, and can really see someone saying those lines too you. I have also already had my fair share of face palms with dispatch, in both extremes too, and I have not even been here a month.

Overall though, I still miss the part 61 place I did my Private-Commercial with back home. :( It was more fun and less like a job which is what it seems like here at SIU. Also, I feel like the part 61 schools teach pilots to have better stick and rudder skills, why the pilot mills are creating more mechanical and mathematical pilots.

They both have thier pros and cons, and I guess in the end that I am happy to get to train under each "part." If anything, the CFI (that I am working on now) was the best time for me to try a 141 school.

I think the training (here at SIU, part 141) is good, and can really see someone saying those lines too you. I have also already had my fair share of face palms with dispatch, in both extremes too, and I have not even been here a month.

Overall though, I still miss the part 61 place I did my Private-Commercial with back home. :( It was more fun and less like a job which is what it seems like here at SIU. Also, I feel like the part 61 schools teach pilots to have better stick and rudder skills, why the pilot mills are creating more mechanical and mathematical pilots.

They both have thier pros and cons, and I guess in the end that I am happy to get to train under each "part." If anything, the CFI (that I am working on now) was the best time for me to try a 141 school.
I have had pretty much the same experience so far.

Back