Snowing/Icing

How much icing can the MD 90 take Doug? That sounds like you were dealing with alot on that ilsapproach. If severe icing is in the forecast do you have to divert to a different aiport or wait until the severe icing is gone before your allowed to take off?

[ QUOTE ]
When I flew the Beech 1900, ice flying off the propellers sounded like someone banging loudly on the fuselage. We had kevlar shielding adjacent to seat 1A and 1C to protect against ice damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, so I guess that explains why there were no windows ajecent to the props on the Saab 340 I was flying on. I had the window just behind the blank. I was thinking "those props are sure spinning fast, I wouldn't want a blade to close loose, espically where I'm sitting"
grin.gif

I've sat in Denver getting de-iced in a snow storm a few times, I'd have to say it's pretty cool to watch, seems like somthing out of a sci-fi movie. This was all at night too, with floodlights and steam going everywhere, very cool.

Yeah ditto Doug, is it possible for ice to become a threat to the MD-88/90 or any other comerical, de- ice equiped plane?

[ QUOTE ]
How much icing can the MD 90 take Doug? That sounds like you were dealing with alot on that ilsapproach. If severe icing is in the forecast do you have to divert to a different aiport or wait until the severe icing is gone before your allowed to take off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not supposed to fly in severe icing!

Actually, once we start picking up anything other than light icing, we'll generally try and get out of it even though we're capable of lumbering along with the wing/engine anti-ice activated.

I'm not really sure how much the -90 can take because basically, once we see a trace of ice in the cockpit, we activate the equipment.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah ditto Doug, is it possible for ice to become a threat to the MD-88/90 or any other comerical, de- ice equiped plane?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah!

Just ask USAir about that one!

Back