SMO's American Eagle, HAs anyone trained with them

golfkit

SMO\'s American Eagle, HAs anyone trained with them

I live very close to SMO, so I am thinking about training with American Eagle. They are the only FAR 141 school around LA. I talked to the school director and everyone seems very professional. I want a school or a FBO training center to have a kind of structured training. I used to train with ADP, but didn't learn much. They just told me to get in the plane and fly and that's it. Didn't explain anything to me. Wasted my money. I know American Eagle is not cheap, around $10000 for PPL , but if the training is good, I guess it's worth it. I want to get the basics down (PPL) , so it might be easier to do the other ratings. I am looking into flying as a career. Has anyone trained with AE and have anything to say about them, or any recommendation with training centers near by SMO. I am willing to drive 30 miles for the training, thanks...

Re: SMO\'s American Eagle, HAs anyone trained with them

SMO is a cool airport...I used to live in the area and know it pretty well. I got a speeding ticket once at the stop sign at the north end where the planes cross the main road. The motorcycle cop just sat there looking for pilots to ignore the stop sign cause there wasn't a plane coming.

Sorry you had a bad part 61 experience. I think part 61 is great but you have to find the right CFI and aircraft. I'd check out all the schools before I shell out 10K for a private. Heck, you got that kinda money you should buy your own 150 to learn in. If you're around SMO, then HHR is pretty close and then TOA. Hawthorne is really close to LAX and not nearly as nice as SMO. There used to be one pretty active school at HHR which had been around forever. TOA probably has several schools but would be a bit of a drive...that's Torrance. Compton...hehe....cool little airport but it's not in a very nice area. Hawthorne is probably not much better. I used to live in El Segundo...gawd I miss the bike path.

I work in El Segundo and I always have lunch right on the hills where I can see LAX, really nice view. Yeah, I had a bad experience but if anyone knows a good instructor and a good training center, please let me know. I don't have the 10K, but I am getting a loan on it:) Still keeping my 8-5 job to pay the bills. I was just saying I am willing to pay just that much in order to get proper/ understandable schooling. Thanks

Another cool place to go watch planes is Sandpiper Dr, I think that's what it's called. It's at the top of the sand dunes between the north runway and the ocean. That's a great place if they ever go east flow at LAX. I used to fly Convair's out of the Imperial Terminal and that was a good place to watch planes, too.

Where do you work in El Segundo? I used to live pretty close to the city park and miss playing basketball there with the local kids.

Sorry I don't know any CFI's around there. I used to fly my 150 out of SMO and HHR but that was 15 years ago.

I work for Wyle Laboratories , which is just across the Chevron plant on El Segundo Blvd. I think I know that sand dune you were talking about. You still live in El Segundo?

I left SoCal when I got hired at UPS but have fond memories of the El Segundo and the beach. Wouldn't want to live there full time but should have more of a chance to hang out in SoCal with my upcomming assignment to the ONT domicle.

I think you're talking about American Flyers. When I visited them a couple years ago, I was wholly unimpressed. Also, do some more research. I used to think like you do, but there are more than one 141 school in the greater LA area. Particularly out in the 909.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're talking about American Flyers.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is American Flyers and you want to make piloting a career. Take your money elsewhere, where you can get more multi-time.
I used to fly out of SMO and American Flyers never impressed me...even on the demo ride.

Yes, it is American Flyers. So, you have any recommendations??? My friend went with AF because he said they are more organized than any Part 61 schools, which I like.

Back