Smooth Jazz Auditions Overheard Today on ATC

EDUC8-or

I was back seating a flight this afternoon and you would have thought the local Smooth Jazz radio station asked Daytona approach if they could handle some DJ auditions. I think I heard about 10 guys out there with their best "Pilot Voices" on frequency. It's a good thing because their soothing voices kept me relaxed as we dodged level 5's on the way home. I asked the guys up front for some tunes on the ADF, but we didn't have one. I guess that's a good thing because the best thing we pick up is Disney Radio and I might be a little on edge after listening to "It's a Small World After All" over and over while being tossed around the Florida skies.

All right, fess up. Who puts on their smooth "Pilot Voice" as soon as they flip the avionics switch? Personally I'm not guilty, but I used to think that I had to repeat clearances back as fast as they had been read to me. Fortunately my instructor noticed the vein popping out of my head and stopped me before I needed some serious medical attention.

Haha guilty as charged.

But isn't it best to at least sound calm and in control?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
But isn't it best to at least sound calm and in control?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I might as well have just screamed "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH" when I was spazzing out on the radios as a student pilot.

You can blame ATC for my little quirk. One time I was told "via con dios" when I was handed off, so I replied with "adios." It stuck.

There's some lady working Jacksonville Center that always says, "Delta 123, contact Miami on 123.45, have a good rest of the day".

And then there's always Buzz at Atlanta approach that speaks with lots of inflection and says, "contact TOWer on 119.5 goodaysirrrrrr...."

A lot of guys that work ABQ Center end with "adios". One guy even says, "Bienvenidos, and welcome to my airspace"

I've worked with those controllers you are talking about. There's also the Eglin and Tyndall approach controllers (military) who always say "SEEYA!" really fast.

There was this really annoying Comair pilot based in MCO for a while that always ended every transmission with "Enjoy your day." It's good to be positive but he was just a little too positive. I haven't heard him in a while. Probably got hired at United and then furloughed. What a weird industry.

grin.gif

Well.... once I got past the "Umm....Cessna.123....no, wait....Cherokee..246..um, I mean...354..umm... Tango...is..uhhhh...[phhhhhhhhhhhhh<holding mic button>]....on...ummmmmmmm...errrr....WHOA!!!.....[phhhhhhhh].....downwind...for...."

(you get the picture)

...I started using the "pilot voice". Now, I just try to sound as "on the ball" as possible. "Chipper" is a good description of how I try to sound.

But, for a while there I tried that smooth jazz "Piperrrrrrr4345Charrrlieeeee WITH-ya! Turnin' to Three-six-zerooooooo from Twoninety! Maintainin' two zero zero zero on the ol' altimeter. Clllleared for the ILSSSSSSS, Runway Niner...... g'day!"

grin.gif

At my flight school, one instructor had a mike get stuck. At the same time, he just happened to mention to his student that he had a parited till 4:00 AM the previous night and was exhausted. A couple of the assistant flight instructors over heard him and chewed him out later!

Mahesh

Anybody fly into TUS and get the privilege of talking to "Whispering Will"?

YES! I had my first run in with him two nights before my CX ride! Dude sounds like he's a jazz DJ on some SERIOUS downers. Kinda creepy, actually!
grin.gif

Yeah I'm guilty of that. Actually right now I sound like robo-jazz-DJ. My radio calls are still pretty stiff.

Of course that's assuming I hit the PTT button instead of the AP disconnect...opps. Nothing like asking the autopilot for permission to taxi
tongue.gif

Naunga

[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

Well.... once I got past the "Umm....Cessna.123....no, wait....Cherokee..246..um, I mean...354..umm... Tango...is..uhhhh...[phhhhhhhhhhhhh<holding mic button>]....on...ummmmmmmm...errrr....WHOA!!!.....[phhhhhhhh].....downwind...for...."

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the guys who flies out of the same airport as me got chewed out pretty good. He was requesting a clearance back into the ADIZ around DC, and circling around the Brooke VOR. Anyway, he's talking to ATC and then a bird comes right at him and in the middle of his transmission, he says "oh, s**t" as he sees the bird.

Back