Smoke on the water

Went outside and figured I was back at the burnpile days of yard disposal. Smelled like fire, and probably took whatever time off my life expectancy the CRJ didn't.

Interestingly, during the Camp Fire that leveled the town of Paradise near Chico in 2018, SFO had even worse vis than NYC but the airports kept operating as normally as they could have. Lasted 5 or 6 straight days, constant ash smell. Surprised looking at the LGA METAR that the airport actually shut down honestly, only judging from how I've seen SMF/SFO/SJC/STS/OAK operate in similar circumstances.

firesun.jpg

smokeysunset.jpg

These were the 2 clearest days of the whole ordeal, the rest of them you couldn't even see the sun period and we had to operate the same way we did in dense fog with ground reporting points due to the vis. Still just had standard ILS use delays as always when the double visual can't be done despite having the worst air quality on earth most of the week. Hope you guys out East don't have to live like this too long, I know it's miserable.

Last edited:
Had an airplane at KTEB Signature with an AOG issue we were having looked at by a local MX provider yesterday. They needed to run the engines to verify some troubleshooting, Signature there always seems to be difficult to work with even on a beautiful day. Yesterday we were told they were limiting their line persons exposure to the smoke and we’d have to wait until the next shift started in 3 1/2 hours to get the airplane moved. Having spent my entire career in SoCal and having gone through plenty of periods of very heavy smoke with no relief I was embarrassed for them, I thought New Yorkers were tough and resilient. Today a coworker and I were talking about it and I mentioned maybe the smoke there is equivalent to snow here, either one can cause everything to grind to a halt because it’s not what we’re used to.

Last edited:
Had an airplane at KTEB Signature with an AOG issue we were having looked at by a local MX provider yesterday. They needed to run the engines to verify some troubleshooting, Signature there always seems to be difficult to work with even on a beautiful day. Yesterday we were told they were limiting their line persons exposure to the smoke and we’d have to wait until the next shift started in 3 1/2 hours to get the airplane moved. Having spent my entire career in SoCal and having gone through plenty of periods of very heavy smoke with no relief I was embarrassed for them, I thought New Yorkers were tough and resilient. Today a coworker and I were talking about it and I mentioned maybe the smoke there is equivalent to snow here, either one can cause everything to grind to a halt because it’s not what we’re used to.

Well said,
as someone that spends a great deal of time around wildfire smoke, I wanted to throw something at my hotel TV listening to the "reports" from the NE.

I don’t know that “tough it out!!!” Is the right response. That stuff causes lung cancer.
I'm not sure "tough it out" is how we handled it. The last time I can remember it being really bad (pre-covid) the company handed out N-95 masks to anyone who wanted them. It was less than optimal but we had a job to do and a lot of people depending on us, should the company have sent everyone not working indoors home and effectively shut the company down? There is literally no way to avoid the smoke unless you're in a sealed, filtered, air conditioned space, and maybe(?) the two presidential 747's are the only aircraft with that sort of climate control system in a space as large as a big hangar. I've worked in heated/air conditioned hangars, I can remember being in Sioux Falls, SD in Dec or Jan one year to change an engine on a Hawker. I was elated to find out they had available space in a heated hangar, that also ended up being less than optimal. The thing about a large hangar is it normally holds a lot of airplanes, and those airplanes just can't seem to sync up their schedules, the result is the hangar is relatively warm (50-60F) for very brief periods between every time the doors need to be opened to facilitate aircraft movement and suddenly it's 13F inside. I hate wildfire smoke and I hate working in freezing conditions. I will say that many people that work at KVNY live in the Antelope Valley and when we get enough snow to close the 14 FWY it will be a "skeleton crew" that makes it into work. I will inform management that you disapprove, perhaps you can figure out a way to put a Prop 65 sticker on it...

5FD4E223-7250-4ABD-BFFB-C68AB30955EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Back