SMART

The larger question in this circumstance is, if they are going to move Large RJs to mainline, HOW? Theres a clean way and a messy way, so naturally AA is probably going to go for the messy way.
AA: ok so we had a committee and we made 2 doors, go in the first door and that will be the easiest path

APA: ok we tried and that door exploded

AA: ok well...good thing we made 2 doors...am I right...*fist bump*

Last edited:
This is how this committee was formed #changemymind.
1704487034084.gif

1704487055928.gif

Remember that prior to about 1996 the regionals didn’t fly anything bigger than 37 seat Dash-8s. There were hundreds of J31s, Metros, 1900s, Shorts 330/360, Saab 340, Dash 8s, and Brasillias. But everything bigger than that was flown by mainline - and certainly every jet. (Yes, I know that United Feeder Service flew the ATP which was a big airplane, and Air Wisconsin had the BAE146 for a while, but stay with me here)

The Fokker 28 at 65 seats? Mainline
The Fokker 100 at 85 seats? Mainline
The Bac 1-11 at 85 seats? Mainline
The DC9-10 at 85 seats? Mainline
The DC9-30 at 100 seats? Mainline
The 737-200 at 100 seats? Mainline
The RJ85..
etc…

All mainline airplanes, flown by mainline pilots, with mainline compensation, work rules, benefits, and retirement.

Imagine if we had never scoped out RJs how many MORE mainline jobs there would be… how many of those pilots who were furloughed twice during the lost decade might have been furloughed once or not at all.

Mainline will be just fine if they absorb the RJ flying again. And if we are smart, we will acknowledge the fantastic opportunity we just had to put the toothpaste back in the tube and NEVER let small jet flying our of our scope again at ANY price.

I can remember At PHX, America West had their own Dash-8-100s flown by mainline pilots.

And also, a Mesa-marked operation called Desert Sun (if im remembering right) had Fokker 70s there at PHX too.

This is just posturing by the APA. They are on thin ice and they know it. Gotta throw something at the wall to see if it will stick or to distract. It's really silly. Envoy already has a guaranteed flow through program. You're hired as an AA pilot from the day you start at Envoy. American and Envoy are both wholly owned by American Airlines Group. You work at Envoy until your number comes up and it's just a simple departmental transfer.

This is just posturing by the APA. They are on thin ice and they know it. Gotta throw something at the wall to see if it will stick or to distract. It's really silly. Envoy already has a guaranteed flow through program. You're hired as an AA pilot from the day you start at Envoy. American and Envoy are both wholly owned by American Airlines Group. You work at Envoy until your number comes up and it's just a simple departmental transfer.

Is this saying that AA and Envoy pilots are the same seniority list?

remember kids: always purchase the wood chipper and never rent it when you plan on wood chipping non wood items. It’s an investment.

To the Jumpseater: "How long have you been here?"
Jumpseater: "22 years"
Me: "Really? How come you're on reserve on the 737 in Miami?"
Jumpseater: "Oh...well, I've only been at mainline 6 months."
Me: "So you've only worked at American 6 months?"
Jumpseater: "Well, I was a flow-"
Me: "So you've only worked at American 6 months?"
Jumpseater: <Blank stare>

Would love to see you claim this in a cockpit or a recurrent class…hilarity would ensue

Back