"Small plane breaks 'no-fly' zone around Bush visit"

chris6387

\"Small plane breaks \'no-fly\' zone around Bush visit\"

Small plane breaks 'no-fly' zone around Bush visit

Fighter jets force Cessna to land near Milwaukee

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Air Force F-16s forced a small plane to land Friday morning after it flew into restricted airspace during President Bush's visit to Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Tony Molinaro said the Cessna 210 was intercepted and forced to land at Crites Field near Waukesha after it was spotted flying at 2,300 feet about 20 miles southwest of the city.

Restrictions in place because of the president's trip limited flights in a 30-mile radius around Milwaukee from 9 a.m. to noon (10 a.m. to 1 p.m. EDT).

Lt. Col. Shelly Stellwagen, spokeswoman with the North American Aerospace Defense Command/U.S. Northern Command, confirmed that the intercept had occurred.

Stellwagen added that since the ist attacks of September 11, 2001, more than 32,000 air-defense sorties have been flown and more than 1,500 diverts or scrambles like the one Friday morning have occurred.

Re: \"Small plane breaks \'no-fly\' zone around Bush visit\"

Yeah....Milwaukee isnt' even on AOPA's list of TFRs today. This is getting ridiculous. Pilots need to start sending the message that if he isn't willing to give advance warning, Bush isn't welcome in their cities.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah....Milwaukee isnt' even on AOPA's list of TFRs today. This is getting ridiculous. Pilots need to start sending the message that if he isn't willing to give advance warning, Bush isn't welcome in their cities.

[/ QUOTE ]
Word.

It's even worse around his hometown in Texas. There's always a no-fly zone there but the perimeter changes pretty much hourly. Whatever the Secret Service feels like it should be whether he's there or not.

I remember when I went on a business trip down in Houston and decided that I wanted to go for a little sightseeing flight, we had to check to see if Bush was arriving.

All the TFRs are getting out of control. Remember how pissed people got when Clinton got his hair cut at LAX? Well, why aren't they getting pissed when Bush shuts down 30 nm radius areas for, well, nothing?

What happens when you're forced to land? Are any civil and/or criminal charges usually filed?
More to the point, would it trash your career plans, like getting a DUI?

The FAA can pull your certificates on the spot for it.

I bet it was cool to see the F-16s flying right next to you.
Sorry might seem like a stupid question but how would the F-16s talk to the pilot. Is there a freq that you go to to talk to them? Does ATC relay the message? Can somebody clear this up for me?

[ QUOTE ]
I bet it was cool to see the F-16s flying right next to you.
Sorry might seem like a stupid question but how would the F-16s talk to the pilot. Is there a freq that you go to to talk to them? Does ATC relay the message? Can somebody clear this up for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

What to do if intercepted... Intercept Procedures

Well, you're supposed to be monitoring 'guard' on 121.5 at all times while flying. But usually it's chock full of airliners trying to mistakenly call ramp control or operations with a bunch of whiney "You're on guaaaaaaaard" so most people have it turned down or turned off.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD WORD.

Back