Slight hearing problem

kostcoguy

Well, being the teenager that I am, teenagers do dumb things. To put it short, I fired a .22 shot out of pliers with a hammer and now I can't here about half as well I used to be able to in my right ear (good one eh?)
frown.gif
. I can still hear pretty well but it is slightly impaired, will this matter much on any of the medicals? Thanks in advance.

My boss can't hear you if you stand in his face and talk in a normal coversational tone (you pretty much have to scream), and he holds a Second Class medical. I also know a 777 captain that wears a hearing aid in one ear. I don't think you'll have much of a problem.
smile.gif

As long as you can hear a whisper from 6 feet away from the examiner (with your back turned towards him/her), you are fine !!!!!

This is the minimum hearing test you must pass for the 1st class med.

Trust me on this one...

[ QUOTE ]
As long as you can hear a whisper from 6 feet away from the examiner (with your back turned towards him/her), you are fine !!!!!

Trust me on this one...

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG. If that were the case, not many people at all would hold First Class medicals.

Refer to FAR 67.105(a)(1): "Demonstrate an ability to hear an average conversational voice, in a quiet room, using both ears, at a distance of 6 feet from the examiner, with the back turned to the examiner." (Emphasis added)

Theres a huge difference between a whisper and a conversational voice. How about not spouting out false information and telling us to trust your hearsay. Do you even have a first class medical, or know where to find requirements for one? Didn't think so. Hows your foot taste?

Hey, eatsleepfly, cool down man, it was a mistake it happens. Other than that though thanks for the info.

[ QUOTE ]

Trust me on this one...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to go off, but thats one thing that really irritates me. He makes himself sound like an AME or something. It should be blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain that you don't have to hear whisper from someone facing the other direction 6 feet away just to get a medical. I bet I couldn't, and I'd dare bet many other people can't either. And yet, we're supposed to trust him. Post what you want in the squawk box and the general forum, but people come to these specific ones for information. I'm all for everyone doing their part to help others, but if you are only guessing at the answer or don't know where to look to back it up, then say so! Don't just say "trust me." Once again, sorry for the rant.
blush.gif
[/off soapbox, end rant]

I just received my 1st class medical a week ago, and the doctor had me stand at least 6ft away with my back turned to him. He then wispered out several random numbers and I had to repeat them back to him. If being able to hear a whisper is not the standard prodcedure then why did my doc. perform this? What I don't know, however, is what the minimum is to get your 1st class med. This is only what happened to me and the procedures I went through to get mine.
Hope this helps!

Whatever dude, this is my last post on the subject. Average conversational voice is NOT a whisper. That was my point. You dont need to hear a whisper from 6 feet away to get a first class medical. They start the test by whispering, so if you can hear that, you're good to go. If you can't hear it, they say something a little louder. And so on, until it gets to the point of "average converstional voice." So, for the record, your original post IS wrong. And you proved it to me by providing the very same FAR that I referenced in the first place. Now go get a life.

And I don't flip out on my students. I flip out on people who give out information to the whole world before they verify that its correct.

Glad you got your first class without any problem. Have a nice day.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Never made a mistake, huh EatSleepFly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I really didnt want to post on this thread anymore, but this is pissing me off. I think you'll find that if you look through most of my posts, the information is correct. Maybe not, but I try not to post anything without a.) knowing its correct and b.) verifying it if I'm the slightest bit unsure. Its one thing to make a mistake, and quite another to put up information thats incorrect and then sound so absolutely sure about it like you're an expert or something, telling the whole world to "trust me on this." Sorry if I pissed anyone off. I guess I'll just hold my tongue next time and let everyone who says to trust them post all sorts of false B.S. without correcting it, so when someone comes to this thread concerned that they might not be able to hear perfectly and therefore not have a flying career, they can hang up the towel and forget about it, right? Wrong. I don't think what I'm asking is unreasonable. I came across sounding like a dick, and I apologize for it. Sheesh...
crazy.gif

There we go...that's better!! I think that's what everyone is saying, eat....it's fine to correct someone if they're incorrect - in fact, you're expected to correct someone at those times. But to be so self righteous, and put people in thier proverbial place, is uncalled for. It only angers people, and you said it, not me - makes you sound like a dick!

I'm not trying to start fights, or anger people, or anything. But conflict resolution is an important part of being professional. What would you do, EatSleepFly, if you were in the cockpit with two other crew members - we'll say on a 727. If the Captain tells the FE a wrong bit of information, would you bite his head off? Obviously not. So, you shouldn't do that with your peers, either. We all screw up from time to time, and most of us are correct the majority of the time...as you said with your posts in the past.

Can't we all just get along????

Back