Sleep(less) in the Cab...

kiloalpha

So this first came to my attention back in 2006 when the tower controller at SEA fell asleep for 25 mintues at 3am.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002936498_webseatac17.html

Monday, one of our Commanders had to hold for 15 minutes as he could not reach MKC tower. Apparently he had fallen alseep. (Not the pilot. :p)

My question is: Can one land if there is no reply from the cab on a controlled airport, either by radio or light gun signal?

Yea I dont know its never happened to me, but maybe you could use the tower freq. as a CTAF and anounce your intentions. If its not busy I'd just land and tell someone that the mofo in the tower is in la la land.

Yea I dont know its never happened to me, but maybe you could use the tower freq. as a CTAF and anounce your intentions. If its not busy I'd just land and tell someone that the mofo in the tower is in la la land.

It could be the controller plugged a handset (looks like a telephone handset) into the jack and forgot to put the frequencies on speaker. Very similar to when pilots ask us to "say again" because they had their speaker turned down;)

HD

I think that even approach couldn't get a hold of them. And a phone ringing would definitely get attention.

It could be the controller plugged a handset (looks like a telephone handset) into the jack and forgot to put the frequencies on speaker. Very similar to when pilots ask us to "say again" because they had their speaker turned down;)

HD

I don't know, we got some old equipment in our tower and it automatically goes to speaker when the handset is plugged in. Figured it was that way all around. Maybe not.

I know the drone of the rotating beacon at night doesn't help you stay awake either :) (Assuming it's on top of the tower)

My question is: Can one land if there is no reply from the cab on a controlled airport, either by radio or light gun signal?

With all the possible scenarios based on the application of lost comm procedures, I'm thinking there has got to be at least one where the answer is "yes." So I'll say, "Yes."

I don't know, we got some old equipment in our tower and it automatically goes to speaker when the handset is plugged in. Figured it was that way all around. Maybe not.

I know the drone of the rotating beacon at night doesn't help you stay awake either :) (Assuming it's on top of the tower)

The ETVS will not automatically go to speaker with a handset however it will go to speaker if frequencies are selected but nothing is plugged in. What do you have now, OJ-314's (I think thats what they were called)?

HD

Back