Sleep Apnea!

Is that where a person will randomly fall asleep no matter where they might be? If so, I sure hope a person can't fly with that -- talk about incredibly dangerous!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Is that where a person will randomly fall asleep no matter where they might be?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is where you have short periods where you actually stop breathing in your sleep. It is pretty easily correctible with a "sleep machine". I can't see how it would be disqualifying for a flying job, but I'm not the person to be asking. It would be worth calling your local Aviation Medical Examiner to find out.

Don't ask...don't tell. You and I know that snoring at night have nothing to do with being a safe pilot, there's no reason to go telling your AME. I good one will say not to worry about it, but some might defer your medical to OKC.

If it's where you stop breathing for a peroid of time while you're sleeping, my wife says that I might have that myself. I really don't believe her though!
smile.gif

my wife says that I might have that myself. I really don't believe her though!

[/ QUOTE ]

Kristie putting a pillow over your face when your sleeping doesn't count!
grin.gif

I really don't believe her though!

[/ QUOTE ] They never do. But it's a serious condition that will cause brain damage in the long run if left untreated.

Got this from the American Sleep Apnea Association web site:

Untreated, sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure and other cardiovascular disease, memory problems, weight gain, impotency, and headaches. Moreover, untreated sleep apnea may be responsible for job impairment and motor vehicle crashes. Fortunately, sleep apnea can be diagnosed and treated. Several treatment options exist, and research into additional options continues.

Sleep Apnea Defined

Sounds like something that could lead to other problems that certainly would give you a problem with your medical if not treated.

Dave

Most of those conditions are not directly a result of sleep apnea. You can develop any of those conditions by not getting enough quality sleep. So, if you think you have sleep apnea, but you sleep just fine a feel somewhat well rested in the morning...you probably don't have much to worry about. I mean, you can take that paragraph and replace 'sleep apnea' with smoking, lack of exercise, bad diet, unresolved stress, etc. You get the point, just don't blow sleep apnea out of proportion.

Back