Slaved Gyro Questions on IR Written

farwellbooth

I haven't come across any planes with this system and it isn't mentioned in the Jepp instrument book.

It's confusing to me, is there a trick to remembering this stuff? "If the heading in the compass is too far right, then the compass has rotated too far left. Select free gyro mode and depress the clockwise heading drive button, which will cause the compass to rotate in a clockwise direction" from the ASA test prep.

Sounds like a great way to screw up the heading indicator even more...

Its really really easy... They're probably referring to an HSI. If the HSI is slaved to a direction seeking device (located in the right wingtip usually) there will be a little switch for SLAVE mode and FREE mode. SLAVE mode uses the direction seeking device, FREE mode allows the HSI to act as a normal heading indicator. Sometimes even in SLAVE mode, the heading on the HSI will be a little off from what is on the compass. Select FREE mode and hit the appropriate one of two buttons to adjust the HSI. Basically it changes the indicated heading on the HSI the same as the little knob would on a heading indicator. Once it matches the compass, put it back into SLAVE mode. I probably made it sound even more complicated then it is, but really, like I said its easy.

ESF, I understand that much.

I'm wondering if their any Martha tricks to remember when to use the clockwise vs. counterclockwise manual heading drive buttons? Say your compass card indicates 120 and the magnetic compass says 110. The card has a left deflection or counterclockwise error so I'm supposed to pull the free gyro button, depress the clockwise manual heading drive button to rotate the compass card to the right to eliminate left compass card error, aka a clockwise adjustment. It's a little confusing...

Well, it really makes no difference which button you push- they'll both get it there eventually. One will just have to go a few degrees when the other might have to go all the way around. You'll see when you use it...its brainless...honest.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Say your compass card indicates 120 and the magnetic compass says 110.

[/ QUOTE ]

Push whatever direction is required to move the 110 to the top-center point on the instrument. If the 110 is just a few degrees to the right of the top, hit the counterclockwise button. If its to the left, hit the clockwise button.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering if their any Martha tricks to remember when to use the clockwise vs. counterclockwise manual heading drive buttons?

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched 5 min. of a Martha tape once and fell asleep, so I can't help you there. All I can say is, when you depress the button clockwise or counterclockwise, the headings on the instrument (i.e. the whole card itself) are going to move in whatever direction you press.

I DESPISED those questions on the IR test...

Why, really, should we have to know such a minute detail of equipment that most instrumet guys won't come across for another few hundred hours at the LEAST! As ESF said... either button eventually will get you there... and the answer should be 'whichever way will get you there the fastest'.

Anyways that's my rant for the day.

Back