Slam-dunked

germb747

Just wondering why it seems like ATC is always slam-dunking us on arrivals, and/or vectoring us so close in that we end up intercepting the localizer and glideslope at the same time (some of our old autopilots have difficulty keeping up with doing too much at once) :D

Hmpf...uh, ...he is just trying to be a good controller and fly you in a straight line from PP to the FAF. He thinks you want this 'slam dunk'.

Also, if you need a little extra time to intercept the loc first before starting down on the gs, just turn more towards the loc before gs intercept. You are not required to maintain last assigned heading once he says the words 'cleared for approach'. Then you may (and should) adjust your heading so as to intercept loc in your own way.

Just wondering why it seems like ATC is always slam-dunking us on arrivals, and/or vectoring us so close in that we end up intercepting the localizer and glideslope at the same time (some of our old autopilots have difficulty keeping up with doing too much at once) :D

If you are landing at a busy airport during a busy period (I work at ATL approach) we are usually trying to fit you into an empty slot. If it is during a slower period and you get the slam-dunk, it is often because we assume that is what the pilot wants, minimum time to the runway. Always, if you need something different let us know. We will do our best to accomodate. But remember, the choice may be a 5 mile final or a 25 mile final. Sometimes, those are the only options we have.:crazy:

You are not required to maintain last assigned heading once he says the words 'cleared for approach'. Then you may (and should) adjust your heading so as to intercept loc in your own way.

Are you sure? "Fly heading XXX, intercept the localizer, cleared ILS 27R". I hear that a lot. Sounds like they want me to fly that particular heading.

I agree sometimes you have to "adapt" the heading but it's only a couple of degrees, and it's due to a bad vector because you'll end up past the FAF without getting on the LOC. I certainly wouldn't make up my own intercept heading just because I was cleared for the approach*.

The reasoning I have for flying the heading is due to separation, it seems they use the intercept heading to prevent us from getting to close or far away from conflicting traffic.

*Unless it's a visual, and they don't say "fly heading XXX, cleared for the visual approach r/w 26".

I agree sometimes you have to "adapt" the heading but it's only a couple of degrees, and it's due to a bad vector because you'll end up past the FAF without getting on the LOC.
That's what I'm talking about, and it can be 10 or 15 degrees, not just a couple.

I don't mean you can turn and make a 90 degree intercept or anything like that, but the heading the controller is giving you is supposed to intercept the localizer at the 'approach gate', which is one mile outside of the FAF.

If the heading he gave you isn't doing that, and you can see it happening, you are doing all of us, including the controller, a very good favor if you navigate to this point, and you are totally within all safety parameters and controller wishes.:)

Unless the controller is vectoring another a/c to follow 3 miles behind you, on the same approach.

If you don't like the vector being issued, advise the controller. You aren't allowed to deviate from it until you are established on a published section of the approach (i.e., localizer intercept).

If you need a little more time, just ask for extended vectors and traffic permitting, the controller should be able to accomodate you.

- Nate

Back