SkyWest Update

Congrats.....cargo is pretty stable.

"Knock on wood"

Well, if nothing else it'll be nice to be on ready reserve at home! Pay isn't bad - it's 2nd - 3rd year regional FO pay, benefits are pretty bad(which were their words in the interview haha), but it's a nice change of pace. Skywest is too risky for me right now. I don't think it would be wise to accept a class date with skywest given the state of the industry, considering I've got another job flying which isn't so sensitive to oil price changes as 121 flying is. If Midwest tanks while i'm in training, I'm screwed for the third time out of a job in less than one month.

My other option was to take a desk job that paid pretty well, but offered 0 chance of flying. I'd basically rent an airplane once every other week or so to stay current. Also, I know I'd want to kill myself after a few hours in the office. I chose this career so that I wouldn't have to sit in a desk.

One year at Cherry(training contract) and I'm going to try to head overseas.... The industry here is a little too nuts for me. Since I got into aviation 3 years ago.... we went from sorta hiring - to not hiring - to let the floodgates of newhires come in - to the 250 hr newhire - to absolutely nothing. With all the government subsidies for the flag carriers of other countries, and the lack of nearly as much competition as in the states, they aren't on the constant verge of bankruptcy.

Who knows though.... it's like the saying goes - You won't know that you've made the right decision in aviation until 10 years from now.:D

Who knows though.... it's like the saying goes - You won't know that you've made the right decision in aviation until 10 years from now.:D

Even then, it's up in the air. I used to say you wouldn't know until you retire. That was until all the bankruptcies when retired guys watched their pensions get sucked into the ether.

121 pilots "Salt lake we need 15 right for weather" ....WUSS:sarcasm:

Anyway which one of you Bro drivers are going into out of TWF and CDC?

There's no dishonor in not going through that build up. No need to freak the pax out more than they may already feel since they are on a plane with PROPELLERS!!! AHHHH. :)

I might be the only SLC Brazi guy in here. Started my day in Twin falls too.

You really think there still gonna keep the bros into SGU when and if the new airport is built?

As I understand it, the new SGU airport is still a few years away. It often seems like we don't have tons of revenue passengers for the SLC - SGU flights. Even at the future, more RJ appropriate airport, I think the RJ would be less economical than the Brasilia. Just my thinking and .02 cents.

I wear pink too . . . and eat quiche . . . and cry at movies and Hallmark commercials . . .:p

:laff: Ouch! That sort of stings! From a fellow Bro Capt too! Just a second while I pull that knife out of my back. :) I set myself up for that didn't I?

Seriously the things people assume just because a guy dresses well, subscribes to Martha Stewart Living, likes the ballet and owns a pastry bag. . . . . . . . . . . . .

OK kidding, , but my wife is a ballet instructor.

Admit it, you go around convective build ups when you can too. We're all 121 wussies.

Even then, it's up in the air. I used to say you wouldn't know until you retire. That was until all the bankruptcies when retired guys watched their pensions get sucked into the ether.

Agreed. Had an American 10 year FO in the jumpseat the other day looking at possible furlough in the fall. 10 freaking years! Most of which he has spent on the street. Errmmm...no thanks.

Just finished my PC today; word from sim instructor:
"No classes in near future, last upgrade class for the year (EMB-120) heading to sim next week."
Additionally:
"We still have a 'training contract' with UA; contract was for elven year term, still at least two more years to go. Furloughed UA pilots, who want a job, can go straight to class w/o interview, and the receive 2nd year pay (UALPA makes up the difference in pay)."

No word if the UA pilots have priority over poolies; regardless there needs to be a class to contend for first. Company is admitedly over staffed on the jet; fall flying cuts were deeper than expected.

:laff: Ouch! That sort of stings! From a fellow Bro Capt too! Just a second while I pull that knife out of my back. :) I set myself up for that didn't I?

Seriously the things people assume just because a guy dresses well, subscribes to Martha Stewart Living, likes the ballet and owns a pastry bag. . . . . . . . . . . . .

OK kidding, , but my wife is a ballet instructor.

Admit it, you go around convective build ups when you can too. We're all 121 wussies.
:yup: funny . . .

and I went around several buildups yesterday as a matter of fact (passenger threw up anyway going into LAS)
dude . . . I wasn't trying to hurt you, I was agreeing with you. I really do cry at Hallmark commercials!

You're a "bear"! I KNEW it! :) :sarcasm:

RAaaAaaaaAAAR!
a couple of earlier nicknames, Gentle Bear . . and Gentle Giant . . . but don't tell my FO's:D

I know your just kidding. I cry in movies too. I got a little "verklempt" in Hellboy II. And don't even get me started on The Dirty Dozen, I'll cry a river! :D

Back