Skywest Story Time

I've heard a few things about the FL410 thing but can anyone clue me in on the details?
PM sent

So it made me just wonder how you could tell the Captain, who made it through this, that you dont want to go if he were your CA in the future?

I told a Captain once that if didn't agree to fly the departure procedure then I wasn't going to help him start an engine, and I was going to get out of the flight deck. He was ticked off, but he agreed to do it.

Tell the CA that you don't feel comfortable. Its as simple as that. Open a line of communication and discuss what you are feeling and why you want to wait it out. If the captain is being a ###### and still insists on going tell the tower that you are not comfortable with the situation and will be waiting it out. You could also open your window or just shut down an engine. Some of these may get you fired but you may have broken the "link" in the chain that could have led up to a smoking hole.

Captain always has authority but there should never be a time where a crew member feels uncomfortable with the decision of the other.

My POH is pretty clear.

It's even in bold. Now of course, the question arises, does that include the gust factor? The company maintains it doesn't, but you can be damn sure that if you land with it 90 degrees off the nose and the wind is 25 gusting to 35 and you get blown off the side of the runway, the fact that the steady state wind was within limits isn't going to help you any.

As far as taking off in that, even if it was right down the runway I would probably sit it out for a bit. With it being 90 degrees off? No way in hell.

As Ethan mentioned, it's a limitation at our company. That being said, you could legally land with the winds 90 degrees off the nose at 27 gusting to something ridiculous like 100 knots. Would someone try to land in those conditions? Probably not, but the option to continue is there.

That being said, you could legally land with the winds 90 degrees off the nose at 27 gusting to something ridiculous like 100 knots. Would someone try to land in those conditions? Probably not, but the option to continue is there.

I dunno, our winglet replacement bill has been pretty high this year:)

From the information presented, perhaps not the brightest idea from some of my fellow co-workers, but let's keep it in context - pilots from all companies make less-than-stellar decisions from time to time.

I could only imagine how bad the mechanical turbulence was in that valley on departure. Ouch.

:yeahthat:

Honestly I think most guys will wait that sort of thing out. Especially if they know it will pass in 15 to 20 min.

No one at my company EVER makes mistakes!

I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

Back