SkyWest pilot killed during layover

I have a terrific sense of humor.

However, this is a thread about a person being killed on an overnight. I think a bit of respect and decorum is deserved.

During your time as a Medivac, did you tell the friends/family/co-workers of people you saw killed to "try no to be so sensitive"? I would hope not.

My "mod" comment was not aimed exclusively at you. It was made to ensure that this thread will stay "classy", out of respect for a deceased fellow pilot. Not telling anyone "how" to grieve necessarily, just making a blanket statement to keep it classy. ;) Mmmkayy?

Well said MQAA

"try not to be so sensitive?"..WOW.. Try to be a bit more sensitive please...

Sheesh. No sense of humor anymore. Then again, I forget I used to work Medevac sometimes and not everybody else has- death is sort of an ironic joke to me more than anything else.

If I ruffled feathers.. sorry.

Try not to be so sensitive.

You insensitive prick you. Damn rescue rangers, what they teachin ya'll in rescue ranger school these days huh? ......:rolleyes: :D

(btw, before I get jumped on by the mods here, a rather frequent occurance, I know this clown here...this isn't taking a shot)

This really is a freak accident man. Kind of like lighting striking someone on a beach with not a cloud in sight and the sun shining brightly. I wouldn't have believe it too until I started CPR on this dude with his shoes on fire. No joke.

Life is short, thats why you gotta have fun and lighten up. I feel bad for her family though.

You insensitive prick you. Damn rescue rangers, what they teachin ya'll in rescue ranger school these days huh? ......:rolleyes: :D

Now, see, THAT was funny! :D

(btw, before I get jumped on by the mods here, a rather frequent occurance, I know this clown here...this isn't taking a shot)

I think even *I* can figure out that wasn't a shot at him :)

This really is a freak accident man. Kind of like lighting striking someone on a beach with not a cloud in sight and the sun shining brightly. I wouldn't have believe it too until I started CPR on this dude with his shoes on fire. No joke.

Life is short, thats why you gotta have fun and lighten up. I feel bad for her family though.

Totally.

I have a terrific sense of humor.

However, this is a thread about a person being killed on an overnight. I think a bit of respect and decorum is deserved.

During your time as a Medivac, did you tell the friends/family/co-workers of people you saw killed to "try no to be so sensitive"? I would hope not.

My "mod" comment was not aimed exclusively at you. It was made to ensure that this thread will stay "classy", out of respect for a deceased fellow pilot. Not telling anyone "how" to grieve necessarily, just making a blanket statement to keep it classy. ;) Mmmkayy?

Nope... never met the kin of the deceased. We did, however, pick up a few patients that made me angry in general.

One day, we got a call, and a crew launched to pick up a guy who had kicked an unexploded piece of ordnance from a cluster bomb.

He was a quadruple amptutee. He was close, so our crew got there so fast that they hadn't even "packaged" him yet. He was four bloodied, semi-cauterized stumps and a good deal of shock.

We did our best for him, as did the docs at the forward trauma team, but he died.

We still remember "Bob". Even those of us that just saw the pictures can't forget him. We tried.

If you have to ask why we called him "Bob", well, you know. Just assume he liked to swim.

But why did we stick him with that moniker? Simple.

We laugh, that we might not cry.

To paraphrase Robert Heinlein:
That's why people laugh... because life hurts too much not to.

My brand of humor is harsh, but sometimes people need it.. and sometimes that's how people deal with death. Life is for the living- the dead have no further use for it, or for us, no matter what you believe happens to them.

Does my viewpoint make sense now?

When I die, I know there are people who will mourn my passing. I just hope they don't mourn long, though. I'd want them to live and be happy. It's what I want while I live, and that won't change because my funeral is the one party where I won't just wake up later with a hangover.

Insensitive prick? How do you know how sensitive my prick is? Sheesh.

It was a freak accident man... but you can't live your life in fear of death.

The real point of your anecdote, either way, is that you Coasties like to go around looking for a dude at the beach to lock lips with.

One of these days, we'll get you straightened out. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Insensitive prick? How do you know how sensitive my prick is? Sheesh.

It was a freak accident man... but you can't live your life in fear of death.

The real point of your anecdote, either way, is that you Coasties like to go around looking for a dude at the beach to lock lips with.

One of these days, we'll get you straightened out. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

You son of a......how do you know what we Coasties do? :laff:

Hey I was on approach the other day into Hartford and some guy in an Eagle jet was taxiing off the the runway slower than my Grandmom walks. We almost had to go around. Stop distracting the Captain dude...ever hear of "Sterile Cockpit" ? :D

Sorry to interrupt your post's ripping on each other... But, I wanted to add my condolences to Jen's family. She was good #####, fun to fly with and great pilot, too. I will miss her, wish there were more like her. Truly sad!!! RIP

On a side note, I heard that SkyWest made her FO and FA work the trip back to Denver with her body in the back. If, that is true... pretty low class on SkyWest's part. But, if they volunteered that is respectable and honorable. I hope it was the later.

Agreed L_C...

No doubt those who have been near serious injury/death a lot have defense mechanisms (humor) to deal with it in place for good reason - but this is a fellow aviator gone west. Keep the locker room talk out of here heh?

RIP.

On a side note, I heard that SkyWest made her FO and FA work the trip back to Denver with her body in the back. If, that is true... pretty low class on SkyWest's part. But, if they volunteered that is respectable and honorable. I hope it was the later.

She was flown back to Denver and then on to her family in Sioux Falls on the 20th, two days after the accident. When she arrived in Denver the aircraft was met by fire trucks and sprayed down. There were many of her friends and co-workers there to greet the aircraft. Afterwards, SkyWest chartered a bus from DEN to her memorial for anybody that wanted to attend. The company acted with sensitivity and respect.

You son of a......how do you know what we Coasties do? :laff:

Hey I was on approach the other day into Hartford and some guy in an Eagle jet was taxiing off the the runway slower than my Grandmom walks. We almost had to go around. Stop distracting the Captain dude...ever hear of "Sterile Cockpit" ? :D

Wasn't me. I haven't been in Hartford in forever.

Wassa matter, 10 miles not enough spacing for you?

:p

Back