SkyWest Interview Gouge

GX

I interviewed with SkyWest yesterday. I was offered a position as an FO on the ERJ with a September 17 class date.

I DO NOT have my ATP. I will be going to what they call a "CTP Class" on August 24 in Houston. It will run until approximately September 3 (10 days). It is done at the ExpressJet Campus. You will be paid. SkyWest pays for the hotel and airfare to and from the class. I am expected to take the ATP written prior to my class start date.

There is also a "Spin-Up" on-line course that they expect candidates with some time on their hands before class start to finish prior to starting ground school.

They paid for the flight, I paid for the hotel room using their discount. Got in early the day before to prepare.

The interview:
Be there early. 8am start time, we were all in our seats at 7:50 or so. The interview is in the same building as the hotel (or right down the street in some instances). The interviews are small. I had 6 in mine.

There were 4 facilitators. Three captains and one HR person. They were all amazing people. The atmosphere was light, friendly, but extremely professional. Wear a suit. Your best one. Shine your shoes. Pay attention to the details; all of them made comments on my cufflinks, for example.

First order of business was paperwork. It needs to be in this order:
• Current first-class medical
• Driver's license
• Social Security card
• Airman Certificates
• Passport
• FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator License
• Results of your ATP Written (unless you have an ATP certificate)
• DD-214 for military personnel (if applicable)
• Any "Right to Work" documents, e.g. visa or permanent resident alien card (if applicable)

After paperwork, we did a quick round of introductions and expectations of the interview.
You will be expected to draw a turbine engine (any of them), the electrical system of the most complex aircraft you have flown, and FAR 91.175. All of it.

After the introductions, we took a 30 question test. The questions can be found HERE. It is administered with questions on the screen and using the touch pads for the answers 1/A, 2/B, etc.

Once that was completed, we paired into groups of 2 for a CRM exercise. We were told where to sit, FO or CA. In front of a paper tiger layout, we were given a scenario where after pushing from the gate, and on the taxi to the runway, we were told by the FA of a foul smell emanating from the lav. We were put into Line Up and Wait, and then there were sounds of a loud ruckus coming from the back of the airplane with an unresponsive FA. We had to sort it out from there.

The scenario is 7 minutes and timed. We debrief after the scenario. What went well, what didn't etc. We left it feeling good, and with the instruction to think more on it for later.

Next, we alternated between an HR interview, a tech interview, and finally, a final debrief of the interview. There is no order. One can go HR, one can go tech. HR covered the basic HR questions. Be prepared. Be real, and authentic. Be you. For me, it went really well because the HR Rep is a former enlisted Naval aviation type like me, and we had a lot of reminiscing between questions. It lasted about an hour.

In the tech portion of the interview, we covered the following items:
  • Turbine Engine Drawing
  • Electrical System Drawing
  • Weather, Minimums, Go/No Go, Alternate Criteria
  • Part 91.175
  • Jeppesen charts; enroute, Arrival and Approach.
  • Descent Planning
This portion lasted about an hour. It was checkride like in that the Facilitator (CRJ CA) kept drilling until we were out of questions, or I'm out of information to give. It was almost 5pm at this point.

After the Tech portion, I waited for them to confer notes. After a few minutes, I was called in by all 4 of the facilitators and debriefed. This was a light and friendly debrief. I was offered a position and asked to call my recruiter to firm up the details of class dates, and other loose items.

I had a great time. I am optimistic about the company and the culture of the company. My initial impressions are positive.

Wear a suit. Your best one. Shine your shoes. Pay attention to the details; all of them made comments on my cufflinks, for example.

For someone who's never owned a suit before, but is down in Seattle and hoping to pick one up today, do you have any recommendations on where to buy one?

First order of business was paperwork. It needs to be in this order:
• Results of your ATP Written (unless you have an ATP certificate)

I sent a reply back to my recruiter asking, but I suspect the system doesn't handle email—I assume if you need the CTP, this isn't a requirement?

-Fox

For someone who's never owned a suit before, but is down in Seattle and hoping to pick one up today, do you have any recommendations on where to buy one?

-Fox

Personally as far as suits, I like slim-fit; preferably Italian, dark, with like colored pin stripes, a plain white dress shirt (slim fit, no Oxford collar). A nice patterned tie, and a black leather belt, and a pair of cheap dress shoes from Kohls.

I would look at Men's Warehouse, or Nordstrom Rack. Both places have nice stuff for not a ton of money. Both places have tailoring. Get it done there. I second what @Luigi said. Slim fit, dark (black preferably), pin stripes for your first suit, and a plain white shirt. I wear a tie on the brighter side as it best represents my personality. I do disagree about the shoes, however. Shoes get noticed, and you want something that will last a little while. Buy something that can be polished easily.

I sent a reply back to my recruiter asking, but I suspect the system doesn't handle email—I assume if you need the CTP, this isn't a requirement?-Fox

Correct. I do not have my ATP. They are sending me to CTP class for the requirements and I will take the test when I return home.

Congrats man! I just interviewed last week at a recruitment event in DFW. Got the job offer on the spot, with a final call from HR the following day! Super excited. I have a september 29th CRJ class date, but will also be needing the CTP course. The recruiter I've been communicating with said he would look into dates and get back to me. I wonder if I'll be in your CTP class....

I would look at Men's Warehouse, or Nordstrom Rack. Both places have nice stuff for not a ton of money. Both places have tailoring. Get it done there. I second what @Luigi said. Slim fit, dark (black preferably), pin stripes for your first suit, and a plain white shirt. I wear a tie on the brighter side as it best represents my personality. I do disagree about the shoes, however. Shoes get noticed, and you want something that will last a little while. Buy something that can be polished easily.

Correct. I do not have my ATP. They are sending me to CTP class for the requirements and I will take the test when I return home.

The only reason I mentioned the cheap shoes is that patent leather gets ruined quickly, and shoes can quickly double your costs. You can buy some pretty decent shoes at Kohls that look decent but cost you $60 instead of $200. So it's not the end of the world to throw out when they start getting creased.

The only reason I mentioned the cheap shoes is that patent leather gets ruined quickly, and shoes can quickly double your costs. You can buy some pretty decent shoes at Kohls that look decent but cost you $60 instead of $200. So it's not the end of the world to throw out when they start getting creased.

Agreed. A pair of good quality shoes can be bought for less than $200. I stress the importance of shoes that can be shined. I only wore patent leather in the military in my dress uniform. I won't wear them with a suit, as I think it looks unprofessional, but that may just be me being weird.

Congrats man! I just interviewed last week at a recruitment event in DFW. Got the job offer on the spot, with a final call from HR the following day! Super excited. I have a september 29th CRJ class date, but will also be needing the CTP course. The recruiter I've been communicating with said he would look into dates and get back to me. I wonder if I'll be in your CTP class....

Thanks! Congrats to you too! I'm going the Aug 24th CTP class in Houston followed by the Sep 17th ERJ class in Denver. Let me know what you find out.

First off... Congrats!

I interviewed at Oshkosh last week and my interview was close to the same, but very abbreviated. Few questions here, few there but definitely broken up into HR and Tech. Overall it was about 2 hours total and I got to do it in shorts and a T-shirt haha There was no HR rep on site, and being a Friday, I am waiting to hear back this week from HR. The way they made it sound is that I got the job so just waiting for that call. They asked what airframe I wanted and I said 175, so you and I may be on the same track as far as dates. CTP as well

I'm pretty happy that they didn't ask me what airframe I wanted. They just assigned me the CRJ. I guess if they give you the option, your seat locked in that airframe for 2 years. I think it would be cool to get a couple type ratings.

I figure a seat lock isn't that big of a deal. I don't plan on switching airframes, and upgrades are 3-4years so a seat lock doesn't seem to matter to much. Congrats to you as well!

I figure a seat lock isn't that big of a deal. I don't plan on switching airframes, and upgrades are 3-4years so a seat lock doesn't seem to matter to much. Congrats to you as well!
You too man! When is your CTP course? I believe mine is sept 7 at Expressjet in IAH.

You too man! When is your CTP course? I believe mine is sept 7 at Expressjet in IAH.

Still trying to figure that out. My wife is due late October/early November so we are working on dates. Hopefully we can shore it up this week and I can start studying instead of waiting!

I'm pretty happy that they didn't ask me what airframe I wanted. They just assigned me the CRJ. I guess if they give you the option, your seat locked in that airframe for 2 years. I think it would be cool to get a couple type ratings.

Congrats on getting on! Sounds like the CTP and ground school classes are shaping up to be full of good peeps. The seat lock is a 1 year seat lock on the airframe. In talking to several people, they've all said that upgrade is 3.5-4 years on both airframes at this point so it really doesn't matter. CTP's are running every 2 weeks, and they run for 10 days. Mine is Aug 24 in Houston. Brojet class is September 13 in Denver. I have the class dates of the rest if you really want em. Too early in the am to dig the info out.

Its looking like my CTP is going to be Sep. 13th with a Oct 1 class date. They are working the details, but I may do Indoc and maybe systems then take time off so I'm back home when my wife gives birth. Its in the air as of right now, but either way its just nice to be with SW and not have to interview anywhere else!

Agreed. A pair of good quality shoes can be bought for less than $200. I stress the importance of shoes that can be shined. I only wore patent leather in the military in my dress uniform. I won't wear them with a suit, as I think it looks unprofessional, but that may just be me being weird.
http://www.jackerwin.com/collections/all##

I have a pair of the "Mitch" plain toe Bluchers in black. Are they spendy? Yes, especially when you're coming from the cheap Kohl's alternative. That said, they can be resoled, and will only get better with age. I've gotten a million compliments on them, and they've become one of my favorite shoes so far. Now ask me about cap toe vs plain toe vs brogued, and that's easily an hour long conversation.

For your suit, this is a good place to start https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/1nt5wv/an_extensive_look_at_mens_suiting/
along with suit supply as @mikecweb mentioned, you may also checkout https://www.combatgent.com/suits

Seriously guys, take the time to develop some personal style (not directed at anyone per se) and look like you give a damn about your appearance, and the world is your oyster.

Do you think that since you interviewed at a recruiting event it was slightly easier then it would have been at a normal interview? I'm trying to get into the recruiting event next Friday at ORD.

Do you think that since you interviewed at a recruiting event it was slightly easier then it would have been at a normal interview? I'm trying to get into the recruiting event next Friday at ORD.
It was substantially easier. No CRM, no sim, 1 captain interviewed me for about 2 hours. That was it. Very relaxed.

Back