Skywest guys?

grchase90

That's assistant to the Chief!
I'm just getting started on my airline apps and interviews. I've got an interview lined up with Skywest in the next two weeks. I'm a GA boy born and raised so I don't really know much about them, but I would like to learn some more. We got any current Skywest pilots on the forum?

I'm interested in finding out things like
-most junior bases
-equipment hiring for
-commutable from the east coast?
-upgrade time
-if you were just starting out would you pick Skywest? Why?

Thanks in advance guys! Looking forward to gathering some useful information from the guys who have been around the industry awhile. Talked to a Delta captain the other day and he said he doesn't fly enough domestic to tell me much of anything. Lol So, hopefully I'll be able to reach the right crowd.

To add to those questions, since Skywest holds more of my attention than I'd normally admit:
- Is it SFO an achievable base? I'm mostly interested in the EMB120, but open to anything. I still have at least a year to think about it, by which time I imagine the industry will have tanked again, but I have my ears perked.

Plenty of guys from my class (march) are in SFO. Most the ones that wanted it got it the second month out of class (so one month in Fresno)

As far as hiring, we have 10 bro guys in training so I take it were hiring into the bro again so hiring to all three, CRJ, ERJ and EMB120

Junior bases on the crj I'd say are MSP, and ORD. Jet guys probably know more than me about the subject.

Some bases are mor commutable than others. LAX? I say that's a joke easy commute from say FLL or something. ORD? Not for me. IAH, pretty easy.

All depends on where you're coming from and what base you want. Never ever 2 leg unless you absolutely have to. It sucks.

And the SFO stuff I mentioned before is all Brasilia. SFO as a jet guy takes a good while if I recall correctly.

Just a quick update in case it makes your choice any different, compass just announced a lax base and republic a MIA base

What is the short-call reserve duration for the Brasilia?
Do you mean how long before you can bid long call or what are the reserve schedules?

They're 4a-4p AM reserve and 9a-9p for PM reserve usually 4 on 3 off for the month. 2 hour call out.

We have set "reserve lines" which is a set schedule for the month of on and off days

Then there's long call as well. 24hr 4-5 day buckets with 12 hour call out.

Long call can be converted to short call up to 4 times per month.

All new hires will go to either jet...no Brasilla classes. With Vegas flying going away next month out of PSP and FAT, flying just keeps getting reduced on the Brasilla.

Long call can be converted to short call up to 4 times per month.

All new hires will go to either jet...no Brasilla classes. With Vegas flying going away next month out of PSP and FAT, flying just keeps getting reduced on the Brasilla.
Without a doubt. And we hadn't hired since April but I saw 10 on the TRG list I was like... WHAAAAAAAT????

Hopefully the 1's open tomorrow or opened earlier today. That's my short sighted win of the day

The 10 on the TRG list were a typo, those are ERJ guys

almost done with training, everyone in class (CRJ) got either MSP or ORD

The 10 on the TRG list were a typo, those are ERJ guys

almost done with training, everyone in class (CRJ) got either MSP or ORD
Ah OK, disregard then!

I had heard sept was the new bro guys, but I guess still up in the air.

We have FAs convinced the bro is gone by Xmas, but we'll see. The new earnings report revealed 200s gone but not the bro which is interesting.

I don't see how they could wind down the BRO in under a year. Probably more like two years. That's a lot of training events and displacements to handle.

To add to those questions, since Skywest holds more of my attention than I'd normally admit:
- Is it SFO an achievable base? I'm mostly interested in the EMB120, but open to anything. I still have at least a year to think about it, by which time I imagine the industry will have tanked again, but I have my ears perked.
Brasilia's gonna be gone "soon."

It's been fun.

New hires are going to be going to both JETTTTTTTTT types, so if that's what you want to be doing, you'll be able.

it's also, apparently, standup city on the Are Jay, although maybe that's just my friends on CRJ LCR complaining.

Depends on base & pairings I think to some extent. I sat LCR primarily all my years commuting to ORD and rarely got standups. Usually multi-day trips that made commuting to reserve reasonably tolerable.

Back