SkyLens hiring pilots, again

All the flying is solo. You'll typically be working a project with 1-2 other pilots, but there are plenty of times when I was on my own. You don't deal with customers, everything is through Bryan. The only time you talk to Pictometry directly is when you have an issue with their equipment.

As best I can remember, my average day went like this:

2 hours to takeoff (T-2): Wake up, look out the hotel window and check the wx reports. Just a quick check to see if I gotta get up or if I can sleep more. Skies are clear, so I need to start my day.

T-1: Meet the other pilots in the lobby and head to the airport. Someone calls the FBO and tells them to pull the planes onto the ramp. On the way we discuss what areas we will each fly. It's important to coordinate because the flight plans aren't just next to each other, they often overlap a little. As the area starts getting crowded, you think about sending a guy away to the next project.

T-45: Arrive at the airport. Sit down with a cup of coffee and take a closer look at the weather. Metars, TAF, NOTAMs....etc. All that good stuff your flight instructor kept telling you was so important. I also make sure to look carefully at the winds aloft. A 40kn crosswind will put you right at the maximum crab limit. One of the pilots will also call ATC and fax them a copy of our flight plan. After the first week, they already know who you are and what you're doing.

T-30: Second cup of coffee in hand, I go out to preflight. It's all the normal checks you do on a C172, with the addition of removing the camera covers and checking the lenses. Look at the sky and the clouds. One of the reasons I get to the airport so early, I don't like to rush in the morning. Lastly, someone emails Bryan our morning status. Just a short messaging letting him know if we are flying, or why we are delayed. Sometimes I'd just send two words, "Clear skies"

T-10: Mark the time, then engine start and turn on the camera rig. It can take 2-5 minutes for the system to boot and run its tests. Occasionally you need to restart it a few times. Make a note for the daily report. The system tells you when it's ready to taxi, then again when it's ready for you to fly.

T-0: Rolling down the runway. I try to time my takeoff so I arrive at the project on heading and altitude to intercept the first line when the revenue window starts. The travel time to the project, headwinds, ATC delays will affect what time you need to take off. If you're doing one of the high altitude flight plans, you'll need an extra 30 minutes for the Cessna to climb that high.

I mark my start time, then it's just flying lines back and forth until the revenue window ends, or I need fuel. By the way, the revenue window is just the time of day when the sun is high enough to provide enough light and not cast long shadows over the ground. It changes depending on your location and time of year. It was only 4 hours when I started in November but got as long as 10+ hours in the spring. Bring snacks.

When the window ends, return to the airport. Do my post flight and ask the FBO to refuel me before pushing the plane back into the hangar. Finishing typing my reports on my iPad as I wait for the other pilots to finish. Lastly, we mail the hard drives containing that day's work then head back to the hotel.

That's a typical day. Sometimes you're in the hotel for a week because it's IFR everyday, other times you're just praying for a rainy day because you're flying so much.

There's more I can say about the job, but I've already rambled enough. Feel free to message me if you have more questions.
Thanks Rich, I'm glad I didn't have to write all that out. :)

All the flying is solo. You'll typically be working a project with 1-2 other pilots, but there are plenty of times when I was on my own. You don't deal with customers, everything is through Bryan. The only time you talk to Pictometry directly is when you have an issue with their equipment.

As best I can remember, my average day went like this:

2 hours to takeoff (T-2): Wake up, look out the hotel window and check the wx reports. Just a quick check to see if I gotta get up or if I can sleep more. Skies are clear, so I need to start my day.

T-1: Meet the other pilots in the lobby and head to the airport. Someone calls the FBO and tells them to pull the planes onto the ramp. On the way we discuss what areas we will each fly. It's important to coordinate because the flight plans aren't just next to each other, they often overlap a little. As the area starts getting crowded, you think about sending a guy away to the next project.

T-45: Arrive at the airport. Sit down with a cup of coffee and take a closer look at the weather. Metars, TAF, NOTAMs....etc. All that good stuff your flight instructor kept telling you was so important. I also make sure to look carefully at the winds aloft. A 40kn crosswind will put you right at the maximum crab limit. One of the pilots will also call ATC and fax them a copy of our flight plan. After the first week, they already know who you are and what you're doing.

T-30: Second cup of coffee in hand, I go out to preflight. It's all the normal checks you do on a C172, with the addition of removing the camera covers and checking the lenses. Look at the sky and the clouds. One of the reasons I get to the airport so early, I don't like to rush in the morning. Lastly, someone emails Bryan our morning status. Just a short messaging letting him know if we are flying, or why we are delayed. Sometimes I'd just send two words, "Clear skies"

T-10: Mark the time, then engine start and turn on the camera rig. It can take 2-5 minutes for the system to boot and run its tests. Occasionally you need to restart it a few times. Make a note for the daily report. The system tells you when it's ready to taxi, then again when it's ready for you to fly.

T-0: Rolling down the runway. I try to time my takeoff so I arrive at the project on heading and altitude to intercept the first line when the revenue window starts. The travel time to the project, headwinds, ATC delays will affect what time you need to take off. If you're doing one of the high altitude flight plans, you'll need an extra 30 minutes for the Cessna to climb that high.

I mark my start time, then it's just flying lines back and forth until the revenue window ends, or I need fuel. By the way, the revenue window is just the time of day when the sun is high enough to provide enough light and not cast long shadows over the ground. It changes depending on your location and time of year. It was only 4 hours when I started in November but got as long as 10+ hours in the spring. Bring snacks.

When the window ends, return to the airport. Do my post flight and ask the FBO to refuel me before pushing the plane back into the hangar. Finishing typing my reports on my iPad as I wait for the other pilots to finish. Lastly, we mail the hard drives containing that day's work then head back to the hotel.

That's a typical day. Sometimes you're in the hotel for a week because it's IFR everyday, other times you're just praying for a rainy day because you're flying so much.

There's more I can say about the job, but I've already rambled enough. Feel free to message me if you have more questions.

Rich,
Your write up was right on point... very detailed and not only quenched all further questions I had, but painted the picture with a awesome vision! Thanks for this awesome write up, I really appreciate it! If I have any other questions, I'll shoot you a message! Thanks again!!

Bryan,

I am currently a college student in an aviation program set to graduate in December. I'm interested in this job and wondering if I should apply now, or wait until I'm closer to graduation. Thanks!

I just came off the road after flying very nearly the entire season with SkyLens. Previous posts in this and other threads have covered just about every aspect of the job, but I can share a little insight into the amount of flying I did.

The timeframe here is from 10/7/15 - 5/23/16. Except for initial training, it's all solo time in a C172.
  • 840 TT
    • 15 Night
  • 560 XC
    • 460 point to point
    • 100 greater than 50 nm
  • 17 IMC
    • 9 approaches/2 holds
  • States Visited
    • OK, TX, LA, FL, GA, MO, IA, WI, NE, MT, ID, WA, NV, AZ
  • Most Consecutive Days Off
    • 6 days
  • Most Consecutive Days Flying
    • 11 days
Basically, you fly just about as much as you can stand to. I would guess that my times are on the higher side of the average for the group. You won't maintain night currency or build any considerable night time here, but otherwise, I can't recommend it enough.

If you're a prospective pilot and would like to ask any other questions, feel free to send a PM.

Bryan,

I am currently a college student in an aviation program set to graduate in December. I'm interested in this job and wondering if I should apply now, or wait until I'm closer to graduation. Thanks!
We're plenty staffed for the summer work. If you have 250+ total time, send a resume about early to mid August for consideration for the 2016-2017 regular season. Follow directions in the original post.

Back