SkyLens hiring pilots, again

pilotbry

SkyLens Aerial Imaging is looking for a few more Cessna 172 pilots in the next month or so. We have successfully negotiated our insurance minimums down to 250 hours.

Please see our employment page at the following link and follow the directions exactly

http://www.skylensaerial.com/employment.html

This job isn't for everyone but some pilots absolutely love it. We are in mid-season now but you’ll work at least until May 31. There are no holidays or vacations but you will build serious time and have good QOL. Your days off happen on bad weather or low ceiling days. Regular season is typically October through End of May but a few aircraft can fly well into or through the Summer and if you want full time we can find something for you to do during the slow summer months. There is no policy against IFR or night flying and in general, pilots are afforded a significant amount of autonomy on the road as long as they do not betray my trust. I like to hire pilots that I do not have to micro-manage.

Starting base salary is $55 per day (with a raise to $60 after 90 days) 7 days a week plus a $30 per diem. Rental car and single occupancy hotel room are company paid. There is a graduating scale performance bonus that can net a top performer an extra $1000+ per month, plus a season completion bonus. There is a $30 per mo fee paid to pilots who maintain a tablet w/ Foreflight. Airfare is paid to/from training. Pilots are W2 employees, not treated as 1099 Independent Contractors.

We have two Piper Aztecs that are on contract now and two others that may go on contract next season. The insurance mins are still a bit high for the twins so an experienced Aztec pilot with 40+ multi might be able to get into one at the beginning of next season if he/she works the season in a Cessna. We also have programs to help dedicated employees get ME and MEI ratings and upgrade into the twins.

If you have a non-private question about the job, ask it in this thread as opposed to PMing me. I don’t check in here for days sometimes so please be patient.

Bryan Porter
Owner/Flight Operations Manager
SkyLens Aerial Imaging

I have a handful of questions: First of all, how much activity is there thru the summer months? Would it be the same flying that is done during the regular season? Also, how long is each job in a given area before relocation to the next? And are there a group of pilots in the same location, or is it just one? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, I just recently heard about this company and thought I might be interested

I have a handful of questions: First of all, how much activity is there thru the summer months? Would it be the same flying that is done during the regular season? Also, how long is each job in a given area before relocation to the next? And are there a group of pilots in the same location, or is it just one? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, I just recently heard about this company and thought I might be interested

1. I was one of the guys hired at the start of last summer season, and in that case there was plenty of work right out of the gate. My biggest month was July (141 hours) and that was even with weather/mx down days. Assuming this year plays out the same, I'd expect as much work as you can stand. It is the exact same type flying you'd do during the regular season.

2. The length of time in an area really depends on how large of an initial package you get as well as local weather. It might be as little as a few days to as long as a month and a half (say PIT during NOV/DEC). Work is all over the country, and some areas are better for quality of life than others. Most of the time you'll be deployed with one or two other guys, but over the summer I was often solo. It's ultimately dependent on needs of the project.

There are plenty of opinions in the various Picto threads on here, but overall I think this is one of the best low time jobs out there. I never instructed (in fact, got this job just as I was about to start CFI), but having worked projects near big 141 Asian contract schools, I thank my lucky stars I'm not a CFI. Good luck with applying, or whatever you choose.

1. I was one of the guys hired at the start of last summer season, and in that case there was plenty of work right out of the gate. My biggest month was July (141 hours) and that was even with weather/mx down days. Assuming this year plays out the same, I'd expect as much work as you can stand. It is the exact same type flying you'd do during the regular season.

2. The length of time in an area really depends on how large of an initial package you get as well as local weather. It might be as little as a few days to as long as a month and a half (say PIT during NOV/DEC). Work is all over the country, and some areas are better for quality of life than others. Most of the time you'll be deployed with one or two other guys, but over the summer I was often solo. It's ultimately dependent on needs of the project.

There are plenty of opinions in the various Picto threads on here, but overall I think this is one of the best low time jobs out there. I never instructed (in fact, got this job just as I was about to start CFI), but having worked projects near big 141 Asian contract schools, I thank my lucky stars I'm not a CFI. Good luck with applying, or whatever you choose.
Thanks a lot for the info. Sent a resume, I'll plan on filling out an application. I've exchanged an email with Bryan, so I guess I'll have to decide if this would be for me or not. It does sound like there's a lot of things to deal with. Such as car/hotel and fbo arrangements, lots of receipts to keep track of, things to report, etc. But maybe it's not near as bad as it sounds :p

If a pilot wants to work over the summer I will likely be able to find something for you to do even if the work dries up. We had at least 2 aircraft flying the entire season and most of the summer we had 4 to 6. The is some Canada work on the menu for summer as well so we could keep more planes in the air than that. It depends on how many of my veterans what to fly into the summer months.

I sent in my resume a couple of weeks ago. Haven't heard anything back. I have 420hrs.
I don't find any resumes with your name. Please be sure you are following the application instructions exactly, otherwise it's possible it didn't get routed correctly.

*bump This is a great opportunity for anyone who needs the flight time and is flexible.

Disclaimer: opinions are my own and do not reflect those of my employer

Thanks for keeping this in JC!

I'd do it if I were 15 years younger...

Echoing my colleague's sentiments - this is a great opportunity. I'm a couple lessons and a checkride from being qualified for this now. Alas, it's not the sort of lifestyle I can lead these days, but it certainly looks like a fantastic gig for someone in the right personal circumstances.

Thanks for offering it up here.

My friend is a pilot for this company and seems to enjoy the experience! Great opportunity, kinda wish I did that myself vs the 135 airline gig that has kept me broke as a joke for a year lol

SkyLens, If you are looking for more pilots then why not contact those pilot whom were interested at the beginning of the season, but due to availability you were not able to hire? example... me

Bryan Its Sebastian Kendra have applied a couple times now, can you tell me the status of my application?

SkyLens, If you are looking for more pilots then why not contact those pilot whom were interested at the beginning of the season, but due to availability you were not able to hire? example... me
Let me ask you, Why post this instead of just sending an updated resume during the season or when you see we are hiring, as I always suggest (and specifically suggested to you in my "sorry" email)? From experience, I have found that generally, those who have not done so have either found other employment or are otherwise no longer interested.

Bryan Its Sebastian Kendra have applied a couple times now, can you tell me the status of my application?
I'm not going to get into the habit of addressing specific pilot application statuses on this forum but your updated resume was received and I retrieved your application from Dec.

not.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Back